1. - Top - End - #1006
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony XCIX: Leakier Than A Changeling Bathtub!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Why do you automatically consider industrialization to be good? Equestria is not Earth, things are already much better then over here. Industrialization isn't needed at all, and they've already surpassed human achievements in, well, honestly I'm having trouble coming up with stuff that we've done that actually is impressive in comparison. The Internet I guess. But that still not that impressive when put beside literal time travel and weather control.

As for a space age, they literally control the movement of the moon and sun. I'm not convinced there is a space to go to but if there is, I'm pretty sure they can figure it out without industrialization. Which for that matter, isn't really associated with the space age?
    Right, but why do you assume Equestria can't be good with electricity, computers, advanced scientific endeavour, modern medicine, the internal combustion engine? I mean my job in academia is made only possible through the late modern world, and because of my efforts the world is a better place--so it's less technology is bad, more humans require regulation of behaviour. There's nothing legitimately stopping a society achieving a utopian ideal. We just need to work for it. The whole premise of Equestria was that ponies themselves either make or break their society. A social awareness of one's personal responsibility to be other-regarding. That egoistic philosophy is fine, as long as that egoism is other-regarding.

Whole thing of Rarity being this generous fashion pony that actively seeks to beautify the world, not merely ponies of a very specific social class as an example of that ethos.

Researchers get paid stuff-all. They dedicate 10+ years to their studying the vagaries and physics of the universe and most will never earn a 6 figure salary. Yet there are still scientists... so pretending like there aren't good people in our dystopian, cyberpunk futures is wrong... it's quite literally a case of human greed being a facet of exploitation.

Does anybody legitimately think Flim and Flam are awful? The whole Apple Farm 'scam' was the closest one could consider morally bankrupt--either that or their tonic show-wise, but then again only because the Apple family are kind of ridiculously stupid and bourgeois. Flim and Flam actually had a pretty good machine that would decrease wastage, increase productivity, allow more ponies to enjoy a product--and the only answer the Apple family had to that was emotionally blackmailed additional labour that is otherwise unsustainable without ponies of talent having to become farmers themselves simply to compete with a machine.

The Industrial Revolution meant liberating societies from having to be underpaid, menial labourers simply to provide nutrition... and suffice it to say, it turned out for the better.

So I'm not sure what the morality was meant to be. I don't know--refuse technological processes and ease of production in favour of slaving over primitive practices because love should be difficult and demanding? IDK.
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2019-03-12 at 04:26 AM.