Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
In the context of the reveal being satisfying, it's assumed that most of the people guessing are familiar with d&d3.5e yes?
I have no idea. I am actually not at all familiar with it outside of the context of this web comic and any research I've done to that end.

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
This is actually a good argument against the Protean.

We should have been seeing Xykon and RC occasionally say stuff like "change to a scarier form already you dimwit", given how important it's always been to them that MitD be as scary as possible.
Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
That's as likely as them saying "you're a colossal snake, you'll be fine" if it was a different monster. Not something they would ever say, because it's a story and no matter what they're not gonna reveal it.
Yes, count me on the side of "Any argument that can essentially be described as 'If it was X, someone would have explicitly said something about it being X by now' is not valid."

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You're quoting Rich wrong. His words is that "[the] actual answer to the mystery" will "satisfy".

It's entirely different - it's not the reveal that he's confident will be satisfying (an easy bar to meet), it's the answer that he's confident will be satisfying (a hard bar to meet).
OK, just to confirm the exact language:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew, in War and XPs (PDF, R4-B) - After the War: Looking Back from 2016
A lot of people have asked me whether there is any actual answer to the mystery of the Monster in the Darkness that could possibly satisfy after so many years of wondering and guessing and weighing characteristics against existing monsters and otherwise just generally thinking about it.
The answer to that question is yes. Yes, there is.
That said, my question still stands.