Training Grounds - Enter the Dragon

Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
[Training Grounds]

"Earth Dragon is a whole style of fighting, yes," Calm Reed says, observing St. Laz's efforts. Strong and vicious, but clumsy. Like a mortal monk being handed a tetsubo and trying the basic stances. Only St. Laz is stronger than any mortal she's seen. Hmmm... "One of the five Immaculate styles and one among many in Creation. When I stand firm and deliver powerful, straight punches and kicks, I'm using it. When I'm moving quicker and drowning an enemy in strikes, I'm using Water Dragon style. Those are the two I've learned. If I hadn't wound up here, I might have chosen to undertake a third one eventually."

"Fire Dragon?" Saint Lazarus guesses, assuming that there's a classic element for four of the five, and then some super special fifth element. Aether, maybe? Fire Dragon is super aggressive but with little to no defensive options, Sky/Air Dragon focuses on being dodgey and annoying, and then Aether Dragon Style depends entirely upon imbuing your blows with magic to cheat because you're a lame nerd who can't fight without using magic as a crutch?

Outside the Base

Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
[Outside the Base]

The sorceress nods. "Yes, but that sort of situation has not come up yet. Magma, which is the eldritch I manifest, has a tendency to cause massive collateral damage. Whenever I summon something, like what you just fought, I hold back the heat. Releasing it would most likely cause it to destroy everything in its path and that applies to nearly everything I do. I could easily have burned down large parts of Riverside during the invasion if I had gone full out for instance. Possibly doing more damage to the city itself than to the invaders." She turns to Calm Reed. "But I'm not anything like the people of your world, Calm Reed. It might seem similar but don't judge a book by its cover, I would argue that few things you know of your world applies to me." She looks between them. "But good job today, you've proven yourself capable. You should go to the barracks and have some downtime. I will make sure they are arranged to your specifications."
Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
[Outside the Base]

Calm Reed listens to Cessie with a solemn expression. Power that needs reining in... that's something the Dragon-Blooded know well. It's what she teaches as a monk of the Order. She nods and bows respectfully.

"That is true. Unlearning what I know doesn't come easily to a Dragon-Blooded monk of my experience, I'm afraid. But I'll do my best. I don't require much in terms of living quarters, either. I've sworn to forsake luxury."

That would explain why Cessie isn't often seen on the front lines, wouldn't it? All this time Jenette grew up thinking Ms. Mithar took on a more administrative role simply because she didn't have the necessary power to tangle with VIGIL's greatest foes. Clearly the problem was the exact opposite of that; she had too much power, which is a concept as alien as it is terrifying to the Nexus native. She grew up with stories of mortals-made-gods battling in the streets, unbelievably powerful heroes fending off planet-eating monsters. They were supposed to have all died out.

"I uhh...I should probably head home and get dinner, actually. Make sure Fidelia hasn't tried to dry her shirts in the microwave again." Wow, she's never going to live that one down, is she?