1. - Top - End - #1099
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XII: This Space Intentionally Left Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    How? Assume "no change" has 49% of the vote. Regardless of how many other options there are, even if all but two get removed because none crossed the majority threshold, so long as "no change" was one a finalist then then Avwline's second choice of "this change" will never come into play, because her vote of "no change"is still in effect.
    There is always a way. It's been mathematically proved (possibly by Condorcet?) that no voting system can be perfect. There are always ways in which to set up initial conditions that will produce strange situations to occur, and that, given a list of objectives that are normally intended, that they are actually at odds with each other.

In a scenario like this in which I assume most people do not want more than one or two options at once, PV of sets works well enough, and I can link to a video rather than explain it.

Now, the most obvious issue with PV is the "discarded second best" scenario. Imagine a voting in which everyone wants a different primary vote, but everyone agrees that B would be their second choice. But because no-one put B in their first vote, they are the first to be discarded.

Every other voting process has its own issues, and since I can't predict what is going to be voted, I can't pick the "correct" one. I am, however, still trying to determine consensus, and if something similar to "discarded second best" happens, and enough people think that is the case, we can still override the vote. I simply hope it won't come to that.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-03-22 at 09:28 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est