Brown Leaf smiled and led Kelam towards the shop-front. "Sure I can, but don't think yer off the hook. If'n you got any good memories, I wanna hear 'bout 'em. 'Specially if'n they're 'bout the food you like. Ikntvis is teachin' me some ship-board recipes, but I wanna learn at least one dish from everywhere we visit on this-here quest. If you like somethin' speak up. Speakin' a which..."

She pushed aside the red cotton door-curtain and took a second to bask in the heady aroma of onions, chilies and tomatoes frying in peanut oil. Heaven. The interior was sweltering, so she guided Kelam to a set of padded mats near the doorway, hoping a breeze would pick up. Like any good Shayanti establishment, the floor was dirt, but firmly packed and swept clean, with thick cushions and rugs in place for customers to sit upon. She placed an order for a light lunch, groundnut soup, yellow pumpkin and plantain fufu. While they waited, she realized that she was rocking back and forth on her mat in excitement, and turned back to conversation.

"So far's I'm concerned, Alhat is a problem, but one nobody's gonna solve easy. 'Member how back in Champoor errybody were all bent outta shape over Tenepeshu? How they worried what killin' her would mean? Alhat's been 'round a lot longer'n her in his job, an' does it better too. The differences don't end there. He's made hisself integral in a way few other gods can say. If Tenepeshu were t' vanish inta elsewhere today, tomorrow there'd be a fight fer who gits her job, an' then that god would jes start throwin' their weight 'round same as she did. Alhat...nobody could replace him. Since we reached the South we been in his country, t' one degree or another. Errybody keeps him on their minds, from the Delzhan t' the Jackal Tribes t' Gem. His favor is genuine, as is his displeasure. He don't need t' cheat his followers, 'cause they kin feel his reach."

She paused to cough and drink a sip of tea, which had been steeping since they ordered. "Ahh, there we go. So yea, Alhat's a big deal in a way few gods are, an folks know how t' reach him. If'n you want his favor, offer a cow. If'n yer tribe wants his favor, offer a hundred. If'n you wanna unnerstand the big bull hisself, come t' Kirighast an' visit the temple, perhaps you'll get t' see one'a his attendants or borrow a tassel from 'is lordly kilt...I guess...I respect him."

She took another pensive sip, looking down into the clear liquid of her cup and the swirling particles of aromatic leaf within it. "He asks a lot'a folk, but he's fair. That's more'n you kin expect from most gods, in my experience. From what I hear he's also the life of the party, so that's another thing the Order has again' him."

She gave Kelam a sardonic smile. "Whatta ya think? Still wanna go see his temple?"