Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
It's slightly more complicated than that. The analogy would be that I for example don't like tomatoes, so no one at my house gets to eat tomatoes. Now, there might be a good reason why no one at my house shouldn't eat tomatoes, but not liking eating tomatoes myself is not a good reason, or at least that's what is being argued.
Except there is no house. There is a game of D&D, and nobody is forcing anyone to play. So nobody has the power to force anyone to eat tomatoes. Eat them or don’t. End of story.

Analogies aside, restricting player options does make sense a lot of times. For example, a DM might not want their players to play evil characters because that might hurt the campaign. That could be for example because the DM has imagined of a story that works a lot better for heroes than for villains. Or simply because the DM has no interest in playing a game where he would be forced to have the game world interact with the pc's in certain ways, such as having to play the authorities chasing after the murderhobo pc's. To me, something like that is very understandable. I am looking to hear for reasons as to why something similar should hold for say, multiclass characters. To be honest, I don't think there are any compelling reasons for that, and I think that asking a lot of ''why'' is the best way to make an absurd position collapse in on itself.
Again, where the restrictions lie is an arbitrary line. You might feel that you’re not restricting anything, but you are. You’re restricting the game to what is in the book. But why?

Why restrict multi-classing to characters with 13s in the relevant ability scores? I think it should be 10, not 13. Someone else thinks it should be unrestricted by ability score. Why do only Mountain Dwarves get armor proficiency, but not halflings? I want my halfling to get armor proficiency.

It’s all arbitrary. Including the rules in the PHB.

In 2e, Dwarves could not be wizards. Why? Because. That’s all.

Everyone restricts at some point. Ask yourself why. Take that reason, and apply it to why someone else restricts mticlassing. It’s that simple. It’s taste. It’s arbitrary.