Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
However, I've come to understand that PHB+1 is purely because they want to reduce the amount of books from which each player draws their characters' abilities. PHB+1 keeps things relatively simple.
Plus, it's lesser books to have to carry around by each player, so that's a bonus, I guess. (I don't mind carrying a few kilos of extra. It's good exercise for otherwise very stationary hobby )
And thus reduce the necessary buy in, both for players and for DMs. It strongly limits the interactions available.

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
What a private game does is their problem but the organized gaming sessions do get the tables first. I would really hate to show up for an AL game and be told my legal build character was not allowed in a game because of DM prejudice/fiat.
This is just me, but I find the idea of sitting down at a fresh table with an already generated character to be...wrong. Unless it's organized play (official or not), where there are hard-and-fast rules already in place. To me, character creation and the associated rules happen at session 0, and they're mainly dictated by the setting and the proposed campaign. So "legal build character"(s) just don't exist until there's a table to play at. I guess I don't expect that everything's available until told otherwise; I assume that I'll be told what exists in the world/setting/campaign and anything else just isn't there to be chosen from. To each their own.