1. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: "Fan Errata": a Proposal to Rewrite Some of Poorly Worded Rules of 5e

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    What if someone disagrees with the Fan Errata interpretation of a rule? Is that someone wrong on the internet? Does he autolose the argument in the Forum? Are all disagreements made superfluous? This is the "Supreme Court" by another name.

I prefer 5E wasn't written with the vagueness in some areas and lack of rules altogether in others it has, but we're stuck with it until such time there's a hypothetical 5.5E or 6E in the future. We can agree or disagree with people's opinions of a matter, but that's all there is. Consensus does not make it truth.
    I think it's important for a Fan Errata to express the difference between Designer Intent and Rule of Fun, and how often those clash. Focusing on Designer Intent provides a higher opinion, a foundation to base things off of. Rather than listening to the Fan Errata's opinion, or some random person on the internet, you can gain insight into the highest possible opinion on DnD 5e matters. Of course, you can disagree, but it keeps whatever interpretation is provided as the most "pure", before it gets dirtied by the opinions of others.

For example, Designer Intent states that you can "pop" from cover while hidden to make an attack, making it so you never left cover. However, if you ever do leave cover and enter a creature's line of sight, you are immediately spotted. This means that it's nearly impossible to melee attack while hidden (unless you can block Line of Sight somehow).
    Designer Intent also states that you cannot Twin spells that magically affect more than one creature. Ice Knife, Dragon's Breath, etc, those spells all can magically affect more than one creature.

A resource like that is something I can use, comparing what the developer's planned and how people like to run things anyway.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-23 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!