View Single Post

Thread: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

1. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Spoiler: Spoilered for length, to compensate for the frequent posting I need as a late-comer with limited 5e homebrewing experience.
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    So you want them to be able to use reach weapons for the sake of more AoOs, but you don't want them to get the d10 damage dice? Simple give them whip at level 1 which is 1d4 and reach, it can be used with strength or dex. That should solve your issue. However, I don't see the issue with giving them 1d10 reach weapons since you have class features that are taking away their ability to attack and they need to forgo a shield to use them.
    Okay, you've convinced me to bow to 5e's simplicity, instead of going for the fine detail I prefer. Have to think about if I will delay the non-whip stuff, only give whips, or give everything with Reach without limitations.
    EDIT: Giving everything for the moment... gotta let the newcomers to the Domain ease into the idea of NOT attacking.
    No you shouldn't include skipping spells that do damage, for the simple reason that its going to get really, really boring for the player who is using this ability if they can't do anything other than sit (or use the help action).
    The idea was to steer them towards buffs during that time.

Well, there is also casting healing/recovery spells, Dodge (Defensive subclass!), and Disengage and Dash to get to where you need to be to keep screening the back-liners. Granted, buffing might only get you through one round (maybe two if you fail a Concentration check despite Advantage)... maybe one more round if you don't already have Warding Bond active on someone.

Hmmm... maybe put a hit-point cost on casting such spells? Disadvantage on spell to-hits, and enemies get Advantage against spells that directly target them, or deal damage except if on your allies?

Or I could go with "the carrot, rather than the stick", and let them cast an offensive spell whose effect would get tagged onto their next OO that HITS, and maybe would allow no save (perhaps only against its hit-point damage)? MAYBE even in ADDITION to if they wanted to spend a second slot on adding radiant damage and such? In any case, any unexpended spell could "rebate" its spell slot when the Channel Divinity ends (including if you end it early). Maybe change it so that in addition to the current options, you can dismiss Vicious Defense as a Bonus Action, or even a Reaction (if you don't need it anymore, you probably have a Reaction to spare...).

Maybe say that if they would IMMEDIATELY deal damage are they nerfed/disallowed? That way you can do battlefield control stuff, which can fall under "defense", just like your reach/OOs.

EDIT: Removed the restriction on spells, at least for the moment.
    Spoiler: Deleted text in case I decide to put it back, perhaps with modifications.
    Show
    and to cast spells that deal damage, unless they target only your allies. This last clause would most commonly be a "thorns" effect, but if you have a spell that deals damage in exchange for a powerful buff then you could cast that.

As for the level 17 ability, include everyone. You are sharing the pain between everyone, it should include you as well. In no way should you increase the ability.
    Okay. I assume you are specifically referring to its duration?
    Your channel divinities last way to long as it is,
    Hmmm.... you may be right!

A flat 1 minute seems a bit low. I might have it cap at 10, or make it equal to proficiency bonus or something.

Probably went over-board due to the Grace-Gift doing almost all their spells at-will (balanced by debuffing themselves and HUGE lack of offense, and a bit by the short durations).
    so don't make this go nuts either. Refreshing on a short rest would be fine in my mind. That would make it happen more often and be more useful of an ability.
    Okay.
    EDIT: Done!
    The only other thing I noticed on a second reading. It is pretty standard for a Cleric Domain to at level 8 to do either
    Potent Spellcasting
    Starting at 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

OR

Divine Strike
    At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with the fiery power of the forge. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Not including that is odd for a cleric subclass and will definitely turn some heads.
    Well, I'm certainly not going to give them any incentive to attack either with spells or weapons outside of OOs, and they already have all the bonuses they need for to-hit and damage on those!

Actually, never mind. I can totally put in those d8s as Radiant damage that applies to as many OOs as you hit with in a round, rather than just one like Divine Strike normally does. If I put that option first on the list then the comfort of the familiar will keep the eyebrows of objectors from rising too high, while keeping the eyebrows of people who like to see things mixed up appropriately elevated.
    Yeah, going to do did that!

Maybe give a fifth option that lets them not take damage when spending a spell slot for radiant damage on Vicious Defense? Perhaps even let them heal for some small amount* each time they damage an enemy with an spell-slot-powered up Vicious Defense. Grace-Gift DID have a feat called Protector's Reward that let them heal for 1/4 the damage they inflicted with their defensive strikes. I could even reuse that as the name of the option. In the footnote I mentioned the Life Domain. Should copy another concept from that (its Channel Divinity: Preserve Life) and limit it to healing them to 1/2 their maximum?
    *Proficiency bonus? 2*slot level? Or take it from the Life Domain and go with 2+slot level?
    EDIT: Did this with 2+Slot level and the 1/2 max limitation.

Speaking of Vicious Defense, I assume that putting in a spoilered optional rule that lets you select the damage type that it deals, rather than every character dealing Radiant damage would NOT my chances in the voting? I am thinking some of the choices would only be available to certain alignments.
    Good -> Radiant
    Evil -> Necrotic
    Law -> Cold*
    Chaos-> Thunder
    *Replacing the random swirling of water with the stability of ice... I can expound on this theme more if people don't quite get it.

The vengeful nature of Fire, the agonizing rebuke of Acid, and the divine judgement of Lightning would be available to all. If 5e's thematics* argue against limiting Radiant to Good, then either Lightning or Fire could be swapped for Radiant.
    *Rather than merely it's precedents, although separating the two might be difficult.
    EDIT: I've put this in, at least for now.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2019-04-30 at 07:53 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.