Quote Originally Posted by Satinavian View Post
I'll give you the MtG deck, but not the team. The team are players and their competence is player skill. The analogue to keeping players is that you get to continue to use your skill at building characters, not that you keep the character you built.
The character creation phase is most like building a team. You don't practice to get better at it, you crunch numbers.

And MtG only continues to be a thing because they introduced rotation so that people can't continue to use their overpowered decks in most formats and have to basically rebuild every season.
They do that to make money, there are other games where strategies have varied depending on what was introduced but where the game fundamentals have stayed mostly the same throughout.

If everyone including the DM does it, then we have a game where all PCs and NPCs are built based no brainer picks, outliers and around rules with unintended consequences, gameplay will revolve around edge cases and leave behind most of the stuff the system tries to provide a rule base for.

Yes, you can do that and maybe even have some fun, but i would argue that such a game still counts pretty much as broken.
That's not necessarily the case, there are games that have differing strategies with different advantages. I mean let's take D&D, what's the best fighter build? There's no direct answer for that question, because there are many different fighter builds with different advantages. I mean there are a lot of builds based around a theme, but getting mileage out of the theme is not always that easy.