Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
Started playing Raid Shadow Legends. I just wanted to have something on my phone and Fallout Shelter’s gameplay loop wasn’t cutting it.

I’m a little wary of freemium games due to past experiences but so far Raid seems alright. It helps that the graphics are decent. It actually reminds me of Marvel Avengers Alliance, though I suppose “hero collector” is a genre of its own by now.
Dissida Final Fantasy Opera Omnia, the mobile game with quite possibly the longest name ever, is ridiculously free-to-play friendly.
Spoiler
Show

-Combat is a bit weird in that you first attack to build "bravery" which acts damage you can throw at your enemy, so enemies will try to both lower your bravery and HP through different attacks.
-Each character has 2 main abilities in their kit and a third one is available if you have their EX weapon that is usable on a cooldown timer. different characters are tanks, support, dps, etc...
-gear is largely interchangeable. every sword user can use every 4star & 15cp sword, but the weapon's main user will get a buff for doing so. The 35cp & EX weapons and 5star armours are character-specific though.
-It's been out for a while, so lots of content to play through: 11 chapters in act 1 + a prologue, act 2's first chapter and the second one is coming soon in both normal & hard mode, with some chapters having 40+stages to go through... and that's not counting the events/MP content, lost chapters (mini-chapters for rerelases of non-story characters) & world of illusion (weapon, armour & summon upgrades)
-No stamina bars locking out main game content. MP has a limit on how frequently you can host games, but no limit on joining & world of illusion uses a stamina bar, but it's not too difficult to get stamina refresh potions
-Gems, the premium currency, are plentiful in game and there are weekly events that give tons of free gacha pull tickets. major events often have half-off the first 10+1 draw and there is a guaranteed 5star (though it might not be a banner weapon)
-non-story released characters, like Beatrix, are slowly being trickled out so if you missed them, you will eventually get them. do note that for these non-story characters you will get 2 free copies of their 5star armour for completing their event/rerelease's easy mode, and newer released characters also get a free copy of their basic 5 star weapon.
-multiplayer is not PVP, it's CooP PVE. there's no ladder boards or anything. Winning a MP fight will net you silver & gold tokens to trade for gems, gacha tickets, upgrade materials, armor/weapon token and more. and while there is a limit to how frequently you can host a fight, there is no limit to joining.

Power creep does exist though and some characters are in need of a rework to be viable outside of niche end-game content, but others just rock with their base kit, and most are find for the main game especially when fully upgraded. My FFIX girls team of Beatrix, Garnet & Eiko are just stomping through the main-game hard mode stuff i haven't cleared yet in anticipation of the Act2 Ch2 that's coming around the corner thanks to their powerful synergy.

Also the game is VERY grind heavy. It's a small price to pay for all the F2P stuff we do get, especially when you consider we have several month's foresight on upcoming events/characters/banners, but it can be tiring to grind out all those upgrade mats.

Finally, the monetization. It's pretty bad.

I've spent 1.39CAD on the game total for what was very much a steal of a one-time purchase chest that had 500gems (basically one pull on the gacha), 5 armour tokens (so 1 copy of any character's 5 star armour), 10 XP items, 30 armour & weapon upgrade orbs & some Gil (used to upgrade). note that a "bronze chest" of 120 gems is normally 1.39CAD. So yeah, huge steal and all it cost was the change I made with the Google Rewards app :P.

Outside of those rare steals, it has your 1/7/14/26/52/105 dollar gem packs that whales spend on. There are Kupo Cards, which will net you a better deal of gems over a week then their one-shot equivalent (the 16$ card nets you 3500gems, vs 25$ 3000gems). noting that only the 52$ pack's 6000gems will net you a single 10+1 pull with 1000 gems left over... so yeah, I don't spend my cash on this game. Gems are stupidly priced.

Also waifu costumes are bundled with gems... at the 52$ mark. so default waifus for me.

Thankfully, like I said, I've only spent the 1.39 since playing on release (though I did put it down for a while getting up to speed wasn't hard) that I made on Google Rewards and I've no issues clearing the end-game stuff and I have several characters with all their gear maxed out... the base game is super generous if you're willing to invest time into playing it.

I'm also a sucker for Dragonball Dokkan and it's smexy, smexy special attack animations.