The Archivist of Novska

Election

Becker took a moment to consider the Sun’s words “The island? Do you mean Yigusa, as our extrasolar Prince says? Or, well, aiming for Eurasia seems a bit too ambitious, in present times.”

“As to the mist, the Archivist is entirely in agreement that it is a mystery we should unravel before any danger has a chance to spread or retrench itself. As a seeker of knowledge in all its forms, she would be happy to contribute some share of resources towards an expedition to do just that. And would welcome the participation of any who consider themselves invested in the wellfare of the city.”

PC

Spoiler: Eltest Kha
Show

Lukas greeted the woman with a crisp, rather overly formal, salute as he listened to her words. For all that a scar ran straight through its deadened flesh, he seemed to be peering at her, and the club itself, through it with poorly disguised interest.

After a moments consideration, he replied “Of course you have no cause for concern on that front, our interests in the harbour of a strictly civilian nature, pertaining to the occasional import of esoteric, or perhaps a survey on its depths for wreckage at some future point. The latter strictly with your permission, of course.”

His manner of speaking is rather peculiarly composed, as if reading off a half-memorized script held in front of him, only occasionally remember to add affect or emotion.

“As to mutual growth, it truthfully is dependent on the shape of your ambitions. The Archivist has no visions of imperium, but does possess eyes enough to see the city is a powder keg in a world of sparks. The hinterlands, particularly, are rather full of terrors, but even within our walls your patron stands out as one of the more Reasonable and less Revelatory, so to speak, of the Princes. At this present moment my benefactor has no specific ambitions, beyond reaching out to fundamentally aligned lesser princes. But she has hopes of partnership and mutual support with your patron, if the idea appeals. Failing that, a modus vivendi would suffice, if disappoint.”

Spoiler: Lovelace Foundation
Show

Becker leaned forward, eye gleaming as he took in the explanation.

“I’m honestly more of a theorist then a theurge at this age, but that does make a great deal of sense. By our current models, most of what gets called ‘magic’ is merely the utilization of various hypergeomtric principles and or exploiting edge cases in the intersections of various higher dimensions or frequencies. It’s not surprising that a sufficiently advanced device can carry out the procedures more efficiently, and dispense with the superstition and psychological crutches so many simple cultures burden them with.

Now, trade secrets and all, no need to do anything drastic beyond saying no if you have to. But would it be possible for me to see this device? In action, preferably. But even examining its structure might help discredit or validate a few different models on intentionallity and subjectivity and anthromorphic spiritualism. I’d love to here this experiment of yours as well, of course.”

Spoiler: The Pipe
Show

An event for the ages, if the guest list is an indication, I would be failing if I didn’t request an invitation. Addressed to a Sophia, last name Diderot if it’s absolutely nescesary.

NPC

Spoiler: Waxen Archive
Show

Giving the massive head of bees an amused nod, she replied “And already more polite than most humans, even. You really do have immense potential.”

Taking another long drink and wiping her mouth on her sleeve, she continued “Now, circumstances depend on what you need-if space or security becomes issues, I can provide somewhere entirely safe to regroup and work in. For the moment-” she made a grand gesture around the park “any particular agriculture you’d like our local larger species to be conducting here? I can spare you the effort of guiding.

But as to the important thing-your work. Our work, ideally. My purpose is to create a complete History of this particular clump of huts and all the interesting things that call it home. As the option presents itself, I’d rather like to have it recorded on your wax as well as my paper, and to credit you as co-authors.”

Spoiler: Midnight Sun
Show

The Archivist smirked “My mortal proxies have a fair amount of owed favours and blackmail available, I’m sure some of them are attached to construction and shipping firms. I can extend that, and just carefully look away from the affairs of the bird bringing me reports on others’.

As to target-well, I will need to know a bit more about your expertise. Strictly social infiltration, or would you be able to investigate a more esoteric concern? This strange mist, to be specific."

Currently awaiting responses from: [PC] The Cloaked Leviathan, The Old Flesh, The Dollmaker [NPC] The Lazy Caravan
Currently composing responses to: [NPC] The Novska Historical Society