View Single Post

Thread: The artificer returns

1. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The artificer returns

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    While I was excited about February's UA, showing us the new Artificer, the subclasses really didn't excite me at all.

These two new subclasses greatly excite me. I know I have a bit of a rep as an optimizer, but the new Swordma- Sorry, Battle Smith, doesn't even do that much for me, either. Its cool, its unique and certainly strong.

But I'm loving the Archivist. The idea of having a floating book next to me shooting psychic damage at people as I shout, "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!" is amazing to me.
    My take on the Archivist so far:

- Scribe Scrolls cheaply. Due to the crazy wealth at higher levels this can lead to some interesting possibilities: 4x 1st level spells per day - 12.5gp per scroll. Great spells to be able to spam cheaply: False Life, Fairie Fire, Sanctuary, Cure Wounds, Longstrider, Arcane Weapon, Dissonant Whispers, Expeditious Retreat. Dip Cleric for even more spell choices like Healing Word, Shield of Faith, Protection from Good and Evil or Bless

- Many-Handed Pouch + Mind Network(Level 6) - Everyone has access to your scroll stash and can telepathically communicate with you. As an action, you can teleport to one of these pouches at level 14. Remember there is no range on this so you can teleport up to 100 miles away! Possibly teleport anywhere you leave 1 pouch. Wording on Many Handed Pouch seems to imply the pouch remains an infused item beyond 100 miles. It just can't hold anything. Leave a pouch in your base and teleport to it as an action with things get bad. Step on a bunch of prepped spell glyphs(Healing, Greater Restoration, Buffs, etc). Action(and 2nd level spell) to teleport back to your allies who hold the other pouches.

- Int Save targetting Cantrip with scaling 1d8 damage, potent cantrip for it @ level 6 AND gives advantage to the next attack on the foe AND you can smite! Very strong! Some bonus action tax to move the artificial mind around but that's OK. You don't have that many things to do with your bonus action.

- Pseudo darkvision - Requires your concentration but you can see through your artificial mind and it has 60' darkvision.

- Perception/Insight Proficiency - Useful, could see a very strong Knowledge Cleric 1/Archivist X skill/tool monkey.

- Mind Overload - I've always wanted to build a Paladin/Monk - Guess I can now? SAD + Ranged Smiting and Stunning Fist. Crazy... Actually makes pure Artificer very appealing. A very strong subclass capstone without the teleport ability.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2019-05-15 at 12:09 PM.