View Single Post

Thread: The artificer returns

1. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The artificer returns

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Here’s my big issue with the Iton Defender:

There’s tons of ways to generate a bonus action attack. The double Scimitar, PAM Feat, Crossbow Expert Feat, doing it with right the Greatweapon Master Feat...

Why would I attack with the Iron Defender? I suppose if I were in a Feat-less game, sure. But aside from that... This is an issue I have with the Artificer in general:

Why use the Artillerist turret to attack, when I can attack? Why use the Iron Defender to attack, when I can? Why use the Alchemical Homonculus to attack, when I can? And especially when my attacks do superior damage, and have a better attack roll?

I like Battle Smith, I do, but the only thing I’d use the Defender for is it’s Reaction.
    To add on to what other people have said, I think this may be looking at the issue backwards. The use of a bonus action for the Iron Defender's attack was probably to ensure bonus action attacks can't stack with it. It adds to the Battlesmith's combat power without the risk of being overpowered with the addition of say, a bonus action PAM-GWM attack.

EDIT: Come to think of it, a LOT of the wording of the Iron defender seems to be made with reducing interactions with other classes' features in mind. It takes its action immediately after yours, so it's hard to use it as a fighting mount for small races, and it's not a ready partner for sneak attack until the next round. It does, however, potentially combo with features that can knock enemies prone, I guess. Maybe a reason to use RAW Shield Master if you're willing to invest in strength?
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2019-05-16 at 10:41 AM.