My retired character is tri-classed. At the time he retired he was Rogue 6/Cleric 1/Fighter 2.

My advice if you plan to multiclass in this way:
-Avoid classes that require deep dives for core features like Sorcerer or Ranger (Ranger because of its poor starting abilities more than anything else) those are fine and dandy for a simple two class character but will set you far behind if you tri-class early.
-Focus your character build. There's no reason to take this many different class levels without a specific goal in mind. I took the Fighter and Cleric levels to allow my character alternate uses for his action/bonus action in spellcasting and make him more of a skill monkey. The fighter levels were to help his martial ability as a crossbow user.
-Learn your splits. Make sure you know when it's best to switch out of a class. You don't typically want to do so before your main class has reached level 4 unless the class features you would gain are equal or greater than an ASI/Feat.
-Avoid it if you are a spellcaster. Multiclassing between two classes does enough to hamper your spellcasting ability, limiting your usable spell level by that is ill advised.

Just my personal take on the idea. Most of the times that I see more than a single multiclass is only to gain early class features. Cleric, Hexblade and Fighter seem to be among the most popular single level dips, with Cleric being the absolute #1.