View Single Post

Thread: The Man Keeping the Martial Down

1. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Man Keeping the Martial Down

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    As it turns out there might be implicate biases in the core rules, but you can commentate for them so just check the resulting balance and be creative when creating solutions. Its as simple as that. Which is not to say it's easy.
    I think you need to beat your autocorrect with a stout bludgeon. (See underlined.)

Freaking out at it here roughly means "angrily rejecting my ideas to give more interesting/powerful abilities to non-casters". My worse experience about it was trying to address the claim that a wizard would be need to have adventures on other planes.
    Personally I'm fine giving more interesting and powerful abilities to non-spellcasters, so long as it starts as the fiction level and isn't simply a contrivance of gameplay/fiction segregation.

I'd say, after this latest round of this subject on this forum, that the quippy shorthand point I'd make is "balance starts at the fiction level".

So yeah A) why bother with other planes, the world is a vast and interesting place, B) rituals or artifacts are fine we don't need to do this on a moments notice C) I presented a system that would allow the ranger (the archetype of non-caster who knows of the wilds) to find places where the line between worlds was thin. It was rejected for some legitimate and some contradictory reasons. Such as being too "low-level" and being too "high-level" I'm not sure exactly what those mean but I am pretty sure they are opposites.

That is an instance of "freaking out" as I meant it here. Maybe that wasn't the best way to describe it.
    Yeah, I don't quite get the whole "we must go to other planes once we've hit X level" thing, though it seems to be largely a D&D thing IME. I especially don't get the appeal of it in context of D&D's standard clockwork extraplanar cosmology.

And... rituals, artifacts, portals, places where the "walls between worlds are gossamer", and other strangeness also seems a far more atmospheric and less checkboxy way of handling travel to other planes. I'd rather see things like "is this summer valley we've stumbled into while trying to find the Lost Ruins of Xul still in our world, or is it on the borderlands of the Feywild?" than "we've reached level X, time to learn Plane Hop and check off a visit to the realm of the Fire Queen".
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-05-22 at 09:01 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.