Quote Originally Posted by iTreeby View Post
Magic initiate or ritual caster may be better for you than a one level wizard dip. A single level of fighter doesn't really get you too much unless it's your first level so I wouldn't bother with it.
I was looking at Ritual Caster and agree I think it is a better way to get some utility spells without a Wizard dip. You also get the advantage of getting higher level rituals such as Water Breathing and Telepathic Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
On the other hand, if you are a melee rogue wanting to use a shield and single handed weapon then you could take dueling or defensive fighting styles along with the shield proficiency so it becomes a bit more worthwhile.
That was my thinking +3 AC for melee is quite a big bonus. The only other thought would be Moderately Armored if I started with an odd Dex.

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
In your case, wizard 1 boosts your spell progression, adds cantrips and give you access to first level rituals. If you happen to be a melee rogue (and an elf/half-elf depending on the DM) then bladsinger wizard offers some decent additional abilities for a melee rogue.
I thought about Divination Wizard but taking a two level dip means giving up level 4 spells (even if they do not come along until level 19). If we were only planning to get to Tier 3 then we kind of have the same with giving up Level 3 spells.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I think Ritual Caster for spells and a possible Fighter dip after Level 13 if I find myself getting hit too much in Melee is the route I will take.