Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
I really hate to keep grinding this axe... but those are all functions of the 3.X multiclassing system. It's always been bad.
Personally, I thought 3.x multiclassing system was a stroke of genius and the best single idea in the entire system. (Among the VERY first thing to go for us were the multiclass penalties and restrictions, and then move totally over to classes as a metagame concept.)

But, in fairness, I had ALREADY scrapped the multiclass/dual-class restictions in AD&D because I thought they were a terrible idea the only time I ran a proper campaign in that and said "nope, any race can be multiclassed or dual classed and I'm not going to restrict it toi set multiclasses either." (I believe that party started out with at least one druid/wizard...)

The only reason I've not used it in Rolemaster is because it would be massive amounts of faff, but if we ever got an instance of a player wanting to change profession again, I'd straight just do it the 3.x way.

(PrC, on the other hand, I'm very ambivilent about and much more restrictive of, especially in what I consider to be overly flavoured ones. Mystic Theurge = good, Green Star Adpet = bad.))

I wouldn't ever switch now to a system with less crunch than 3.x or Rolemaster now unless there was an extremely specific reason for a limited time (like Warhammer Fantasy and having the quest books). Making NPCs out of all the crunch is a good half on my DMing fun, especially since I so rarely get to make an actual character these days.