1. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Do you like the older RPG systems better than the newer ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    That can be done as a velocity based turning restriction. In HERO I'd keep a fighter jet down to speed two or three, maybe even one, and give it a crap-ton of flight speed with a minimum move, stalling, and turn restrictions. Just figure out the speed/turn ratios you want and use then to discount the movement.

Really vehicles are just mobile people containers, and I suppose buildings are immobile ones... And with that thought I need to look at some games for how they handle buildings/static objects versus vehicles. Hmm, something to think about.
    The problem with what you're describing is the shear number of variables and work you'd need to put that into a "game". What you're describing would be better as a simulation program rather than a TTRPG.

You could simulate what you're describing though, with relative ease. Rather than describing the individual variables, treat them as one that is changed per individual vehicle. Something called Agility.

Vehicles with low Speed and Agility are very easy to hit. Vehicles with high Speed can easily harass a vehicle with high Agility. Vehicles with high Agility can quickly adapt much better than a vehicle with high Speed. Speed is more important in prestine conditions (like on a road or in an empty sky) but Agility is more important in chaotic conditions (a ruin of a city, or an asteroid field).

Some vehicles have both low speed and low agility (like a tank), but most are a balance of both (like a motorcycle).

At least, that's how I'd implement something like that. The gain of tracking 5 different variables for mobility across every vehicle just seems unrealistic for gameplay. Tracking 2 streamlined variables seems...fine.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-05 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!