Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
That's an interesting approach. Maybe what would be interesting is a mixture of 'class' and 'kit/path', while as I type this I realise I just renamed the 'race/class' system.

Eh, I'm a fan of lifepath character generation anyway. Let me pick abilities based on Sir Tim's experience, instead of just giving me certain abilities because he's a knight, and ideally have a structure where I work out what happened to him over the years instead of just giving me a bunch of points and telling me to go.

(Sir Tim is one of my 'characters that I would like to play, but have never had the chance', on there because he really doesn't fit into D&D conventions. He's a courtly knight, with his skills primarily in speaking to people, and combat skills focused more on jousting and dueling rather than melee combat.)
I have no problem with lifepath backgrounds if they're entirely based on player choice and have balanced results and tradeoffs... but I can think of one type of character creation that's worse than Classes -- randomized lifepath.

And yeah, from what I've been told by at least some of its fans, D&D isn't the place for characters like Sir Tim... because Sir Tim is not an "Adventurer", and in D&D all that stuff is just sidelines to the "Adventuring".