Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
That's an interesting approach. Maybe what would be interesting is a mixture of 'class' and 'kit/path', while as I type this I realise I just renamed the 'race/class' system.

Eh, I'm a fan of lifepath character generation anyway. Let me pick abilities based on Sir Tim's experience, instead of just giving me certain abilities because he's a knight, and ideally have a structure where I work out what happened to him over the years instead of just giving me a bunch of points and telling me to go.

(Sir Tim is one of my 'characters that I would like to play, but have never had the chance', on there because he really doesn't fit into D&D conventions. He's a courtly knight, with his skills primarily in speaking to people, and combat skills focused more on jousting and dueling rather than melee combat.)
I feel much the same way; I've long since turned away from D&D, since I just don't like the kind of class structure that prohibits me from doing anything that class isn't specifically allowed to do. I also prefer more narrative systems, but that's less of an issue because you can play D&D just as well with a less numbers-oriented approach.

You really do need to find an opportunity to try out "The Dark Eye" (I know you own it because we've talked about it in another thread a while ago). In that game, while being a knight will give you certain skills meant to represent what you were taught during knight training, you will be able to learn whatever you want with your leftover points. There are no restrictions whatsoever, as long as you can afford what you want to learn (except for magical abilities, if you are not born with the ability to do magic, you can't do it period). I think you'd really enjoy the possibilities for character creation the system provides.