1. - Top - End - #839
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread XI: Finally, it's HAMMER-TIME!

Can you say they won't keep donating forever? I honestly don't get the attachment to keep donating, I personally decided to never donate another penny after the first kickstarter fell through (it was only 10 bucks but Erfworld is still the recipient of one of a very limited number of kickstarters I have backed, and if Rob had delivered I would have stepped up at least a few more times), but a lot of people get emotionally attached.

I'll mention again Gone With The Blastwave, a comic that has been around for over a decade and has only 77 pages, TOTAL. His last update was December 18th, 2018. If there is any man that should have been abandoned by his patrons, it's this guy, and yet he is listed as getting 952$ per month. The guy has actually said, "give me money for doing nothing". Really pisses me off that people still give him money.

You wanna talk about a guy that burned his fanbase? Look as Sinfest, his change in content DESTROYED the vast majority of his readership, and yet he's still currently making 1,438$ per month.

Neither example makes anywhere near what Rob makes, but they are still respectable amounts when compared to the official patreon lists. It's honestly a little sad that a top notch creator like Howard Taylor, a guy that has NEVER missed an update since maybe the beginning of his comic, which was well over a decade ago, can only gather up 3,230$ a month.

Clearly, there are many factors that go into how much money you can get on patreon, and update rate is probably not among the most important reasons.

There's also the fact is that Rob's current dry spell is not the first he's gone through, and I don't think it's even the longest, and yet I don't recall ever seeing a massive drop in patrons from a lack of updates. Sure, there's been a drop from the high, which I think was around 3,400$ish at the top? That said, the vast majority continue to support him, and given the fact that there is a lot of sympathy due to his wife having cancer, many people would be loath to withdraw funding for any reason. I'm honestly more surprised by Rob starting to fail on his kickstarters, than I am with the idea that people will keep giving him money no matter what.

In my mind, the only thing Rob could do that would really hurt his patron donations is to say that the comic is canceled, which is why I know that his threat to do so is an idle one.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2019-06-09 at 09:30 PM.