Quote Originally Posted by willdaBEAST View Post
I think this is tricky especially when there are elements that have extremely problematic origins. Orcs for example and half-Orcs had some real world parallels that don’t hold up well with more modern sensibilities. The same is true with Drow imo.
Can you elaborate on this bit? I’ve never heard of a real world orc or drow parallel. Or how it would be offensive, unless maybe some kind of insult to Nordic people because “dark elf” = Svartalfar or something, but drow aren’t really depicted as Nordic in aesthetic...

As for racism in my games, I use it a bit. It’s ridiculous to think that so many distinctive people could hold hands & live in harmony, I mean, how could a person who suffered from a Dragon Cult not look sideways at a Dragonborn? Or dwarves that constantly fight Orcs in the undermines not appreciating the presence of a Halforc noble from a country far away? I have a list of a handful of insults & slurs for each race against each race (I’m not going to post it lest my fantasy racism be construed as real life racism) that I might use it a particular NPC is racist, as well as some preconceived notions about their behavior.