View Single Post

Thread: Remote Irish Island, Good Internet

1. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Remote Irish Island, Good Internet

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    So, "the local talent includes graphic designers, game developers, app developers, photographers, plus a host of artisan craftspeople". All this in a population of less than 500, mark you.
    It's not as crazy as it seems. "Islanders" can be quite creative (you have to be, and places like that tend to breed entreprenurs), I know places much smaller with similar numbers. I would expect these to be younger ppl educated elsehwere working wholly or partly from the island. Some of those titles are probably the same person too.

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Pretty clearly when they say "open for business", they're looking for someone to employ all these people. From which I infer, there are currently zero decent indoor jobs to be had on the island.
    I think you are maybe taking that bit too far. I don't think they were implying they have a Silicon Valley out there.

I would expect the people mentioned to be selfemployed.

Places like that don't directly suffer from lack of jobs per se, but often more the lack the right people to fill gaps. At least one case I know e.g. an island was looking for 1 family with a child, because then another could move there and the school coulda stayed open. Instead now the school is "officially" closed and that hurdle to get families to move out just became a lot bigger because you can't say "yeah we got a school" but have to say "yes IF you move here we'll have a school".
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-06-19 at 05:18 AM.