1. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    @LudicSavant: what does that hexblade level really lend the Nuclear wizard build?
    Quite a bit!

1) Hexblade's Curse synergizes exceptionally well with the Evoker's kit. It scales with proficiency, so it's the gift that just keeps on giving. It's a significant part of what allows you to do such massive single target damage when you need to.

2) It's not a little survivability early, it's a lot of survivability forever. 25 AC is already enough that even an Ancient White Dragon needs an 11 to hit you, and that's really the low end of your defenses by that level (just base AC + Shield). Not only does this protect your hit points, it also helps protect your Concentration (ya don't make a check if the enemy misses you).

3) It also makes your mental saving throws more even, which goes well with Magic Resistance and the like. To get an idea of the math involved, a -1 Cha save with Advantage (from Yuan-Ti Magic Resistance) still has a whopping 90.25% chance of getting Banished by a DC19 save, while a +8 Cha with Advantage has only a 25% chance and a +13 (from standing next to your local Paladin) has only a 6.25% chance. Incidentally, your good defenses make it safer to stand within 10 feet of the Paladin in the first place. Anywho, point is that I'd rather have three good saving throws than 1 really good, one good, and one terrible. A defense is only as strong as its weakest link, after all.

4) Extra spell slots / adventuring day and 2 extra cantrips known. Makes an especially noticeable difference in the early game, but never becomes irrelevant.

5) It's basically a non-issue that Hexblade spells key off of Cha. We only rarely use our actual Hexblade spells (because we can use Warlock slots for Wizard spells), and when we do, well, Armor of Agathys doesn't scale off Charisma anyways. Incidentally, this gives you some nasty retribution damage potential, because unlike a Sorcerer you have access to Fire Shield to stack on it (which in turn combos with things like Overchannel, Hexblade's Curse, Empowered Evocation, etc). You basically can't be killed by melee attacks before all of the melee attackers die when using this. Just one more tool for the ever-expanding Batman toolbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyracian View Post
    I am going to try using Unseen Servant with a flask of oil next time I am using Bonfire/Flaming Sphere.
    Nice. It's really great as long as you have some consistent way of pushing people around and/or restricting their movement in the team. In the case of a current campaign I'm in, the main culprit of this is a character with Tavern Brawler.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2019-07-04 at 06:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones