1. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Good friend, bad GM/Player, what would you do?

If you haven't already, tell him that DMing isn't about telling your story. It's about giving the players what they need to tell their story. You just provide as many options as you can. For everything he wants the players to do, ask him to think of it from a player's perspective. What if they DIDN'T want to do that? What if they had a different plan of attack? Reward these things.

As for being a bad player...uhh...has he read any classic fantasy like Icewind Dale or Dragonlance? Short of just saying "dude you're a sh!t player stop being dumb" (Bad idea obviously), that's the only idea I have on showing him how things are "supposed to" be. That, or show him some select tales of DnD epicness, like the PalaDM. Just so long as he knows it's not about copying, those things should help.

Heck, the rest of you are good DMs or players, right? If you can, maybe he should just observe for one session, and take notes on how the structure of the game works. Hoe people react. Things like that. Outside perspectives can really help.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-07-13 at 02:51 PM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.