Quote Originally Posted by Verappo View Post
On a Watsonian level I agree with you there. But my concern is, if that's the direction the story was going, why not make it clear from the get go? Elan could have easily ended with a punchline like "nice! that sure doesn't seem like an easy rationalisation from an unreliable source", but instead they made him agree that the system was unfair.

Given how unlikely Hilgya is to be killed in-comic, that would be a weird thing to just mention like "Don't worry guys, she'll get hers" and not estabilish it right away. Instead what we got from the god himself so far was pride and aknowledgement. And I mean, since he came up with the bet I have no doubt he'd be shifty enough to come up with the loophole so he is the one god exempt from this (not that we know of other gods with loopholes, but i'm going off what we have).
The Doylist reason for including that is probably to give insight into Hilgya's insane worldview, without explicitly explaining that she really is just deluded. Deluded lunatics only work as characters when there is room to doubt their lunacy.