Quote Originally Posted by CombatBunny View Post
Well… he listens to it, takes notes and accepts it without complain. Still he keeps making the same mistakes.

We have done that to suppress a little bit the boredom and it has somehow worked. Our players have become very wacky and spend all time causing mayhem whenever he GMs. Not a definitive solution but at least sessions are more bearable.

In my case, he is a good friend and I have spoken harshly to him in the past. I no longer feel like hurting him anymore, in fact our group always rate his sessions high on our feedback, because we all have learned that he won’t improve, so we have lost all hope and now we are kind to him.

Thank you, I have seen many RPG videos and I’ll watch yours as well. The problem is that is not myself who needs the improvement and I really don’t think that he is interested in looking for additional advice =( I’ve tried to recommend him guides and tutorials in the past.

Don’t see anything wrong with complaining, it’s a way to express that you are uncomfortable with something and need advice. This post is the result of years of playing through and being patient in silence. I understand that you haven’t played with him and so is easy to underestimate the problem and believe that we are just being picky. The idea of having him run modules or adventure paths sounds neat though.

Yes, this is the only problem with him as a player and is not such a big problem. The only issue with this is that we have to stop the game constantly, because this tends to end in long discussions as for why his character wants to do something completely different to the rest of the party, other than that is not actually a big deal.

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it. Is just that we have gone through that already: giving him feedback, giving him material, advice, trying to simplify things for him, etc. we have gave up hope in that aspect.

We are not picky, throw some monsters and fantasy tropes and we will be happy with that. As you say, maybe he only needs to run several adventures from other authors before trying to run his own.
Suffering for years in silence - or, worse, giving him false feedback - isn't helping anyone.

Explain to him that your group wants Combat (well, go autocorrect - I just typed "X"). Explain to how how the games he runs is not X. Ask him if he can run X. Repeat for every session, until he runs X.

That said, couple that with asking him what he wants out of a game. Try to see if you can find ways for everyone to be happy.

And this goes for the way y'all GM, too. Why does he always want something simultaneously different from everyone else, and stupid? Is he just dumb, or is he playing a different game (my current example is Highschool romance while everyone else is playing tactical basketball simulator).

And you definitely do want to watch those videos, especially as a group buy even by yourself, so that you can develop the vocabulary to have an effective conversation with detailed use of meaningful keywords.

Personally, I'd draw him a picture (or a flow chart, really), showing what his adventures look like, compared to other people's adventures. Give him visuals of (perceived) decision points - and lack thereof. Keep drawing him pictures every session he GMs until he gets the message.