Quote Originally Posted by viaFAMILIAR View Post
Something about phantasmal force being a 2nd level spell(fairly expensive) @1d6(quite weak) psychic, tells me it should be more effective than I believe. Is it the damage type? Or the fact that the target needs only to fail a single investigation check to believe it's completely real. Sure, it's use is mainly area control (would a creature cross a chasm if they believed it were real and they couldn't make the jump?), aren't there more effective spells for this application? I really like how illusion spells aren't save based, forcing an action to intelligence(investigation) check instead. I don't see much use past duping a big dummy. However, creating the image of a giant constrictor snake as the party beefcake grapples it's taget sounds pretty rad, would they investigate the illusion or escape the grapple?
Yes the damage Is weak, but compare It to the other single target disable spells. Int saves are usually weak, and It also have to be used to trick stupid foes.

Effectively it's like a hold monster but instead of focusing him you focus the others. (Obviously Is usless or less useful against a single Monster) but Is a 2nd level spell.

If it was a WIS save It would be fine.