View Single Post

Thread: Miscellaneous Spells [PEACH]

1. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Miscellaneous Spells [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    These are super fun
    Thanks! I'm still working on more spells + rewriting the ones that need work.

Barrage makes sense, but not next to variable dart. I don't see why you'd need both.
    They're both pretty situational. Barrage deals very little damage, Variable Dart deals slightly more. If you're fighting a spellcaster who spams Shield, Barrage is useless. If you're fighting some giant monster with massive AC, Barrage will reliably do some damage. Variable Dart is great for probing for resistances and vulnerabilities, and exploiting vulnerabilities if they have them.

Barrage, Kinetic Strike, Variable Dart, and Scintillating Bolt are all attack cantrips that, in my opinion, fill empty niches in the list of attack cantrips. Barrage's reliability and great damage type is balanced by its very low damage and hard counter (Shield). Variable Dart's adaptability is balanced by its low damage and commonly resisted damage types. Scintillating Bolt's versatility is balanced by its low damage. Kinetic Strike's high damage is balanced by its melee range and commonly resisted damage types.

Edit: Barrage is also a good-great choice for Magic Initiates or other casters who don't have a strong casting stat but need a ranged attack.

Breach feels like it's going to 100% explode in your face. I'd make it an action to draw the rune, and then a second action to detonate it as long as you are within a certain range. That also allows it to act as a sort of remotely-triggered mine.
    That's an awesome idea. I've been trying to figure out how to phrase Breach more plainly, and that might just do it!

Illusory Hair should be a ritual too, allowing you to create hair for yourself without spending a spell slot, but having to spend a spell slot if you're giving the town guard the "I need to speak to your manager" cut.
    Yes, it should be. I thought it was. Okay, I'll fix that.

Heighten Awareness doesn't make sense as a Warlock spell, unless there's homebrew afoot. It doesn't scale, and doesn't last very long. If they did have it, it'd be picked up via an at-will invocation.
    Good point. Let me think through a scaling effect for Heighten Awareness.

I'd open up the directions of Launch to go in any direction instead of just "straight line away from you". I would certainly use this to lie prone, have a party member step over me, and send them soaring upwards toward that ledge or over a wall. Since it already provokes falling damage, may as well let it be used for such things. You could even add wording to target the ground and launch yourself.
    Yes, I agree that Launch should be able to be used for that sort of thing, but I'm reluctant to make those effects explicitly allowed. I think that that sort of effect (how physics and relative location of creatures works in a game) should probably be a DM ruling handled on a case-by-case basis. I'll see if I can clarify the wording a bit.

Rainbow Bridge is cool, but it's odd that it's locked at 80 ft long and 1 hour for a scaling spell. Although, to be honest, I thought it was a Thor reference, so I was already a little disappointed.
    I improved it a bit (can be made wider and longer). The name (and appearance) is a reference to Thor, but the spell effect was inspired more of LotR's Bridge of Khazad-Dum (sp?).

Rejuvenate is odd for an 8th level spell. It's clearly powerful, but with an 8 hour cast time, it seems... off. Compare to Awaken, which also has an 8 hour cast time, but is only a 5th level spell.
    Agreed. Reduced casting time to 1 hour, similar to Clone.

Stonesense... I don't see why anyone would take this. Or why it would be created? What am I missing here?
    Like Breccia said, it's primarily an NPC utility spell, but adventurers can use it to check for hidden passages in a castle or dungeon, or examine the rough shapes of room on the far side of a stone wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    depending on how generous the DM is, a jeweler might want it lying around because glass isn't a stone, making it easy to detect forgeries.
    I've clarified the language slightly: it was pretty badly worded originally. Stonesense is only meant to detect stones that are bigger than 1 foot on a side, specifically so that you can't detect things like gems/sand/dust.
    Last edited by Tiadoppler; 2019-07-25 at 12:09 PM.
    The battle cry of a true master is "RAW!!!"

I play Devil's Advocate. Why does a devil need an advocate? Because only bad lawyers go to hell. The good ones find a loophole.

5e Homebrew: Firearms through the ages / Academian class / Misc. Spells