View Single Post

Thread: What if... Miko never killed Shojo?

1. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What if... Miko never killed Shojo?

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    If Shojo dies and nothing else changes so that Hinjo finds himself in the same position as Shojo at the end of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, then assuming he scries on the dungeon of Dorukan after the destruction of the gate, he doesn't trust Eugene and simply dismisses him. However, Hinjo would presumably still be obligated by Sapphire Guard law to arrest and prosecute those responsible for the gate's destruction - he'd just do it for real.

What happens next depends on how much of the trial (beyond the fact that it was rigged) was Shojo's doing and how much Hinjo would and could have changed the legal framework. I don't see him being happy with executing the Order given the circumstances (that Dorukan's gate had a self-destruct sigil at all would likely give him pause), and he's shown on panel that he can be flexible when it comes to justice and the spirit of the law. So I'm going to say he spares the Order, but probably sentences them to prison nonetheless. However, after the trial he'd know about Xykon even if he hadn't listened to Eugene, and he'd know he was going after the gates. Commuting their prison sentence for work seems perfectly likely, only their job wouldn't be to check on the other gates, but simply to fight Xykon.

Then Xykon and Redcloak come crashing, and Hinjo frees the Order if he hadn't before so that they can defend Azure City. And everything pretty much plays out the same from there, except that Miko clings to her sanity for a little longer. Assuming she didn't lose it way earlier in this timeline, of course, since she wouldn't have Shojo by her side.
    I like this take on it. Hinjo and Shojo both play more or less the same role, but in opposing styles. As such, the story ultimately is the same but with a couple key components somewhat shifted, but still similar enough to be evidently the derived from same story.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-07-29 at 07:15 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad