Thread: Ancient Realms

1. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Ancient Realms

Waterdeep
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mostly use this City because it sits on top of Undermountain, which I love to use.

1) I'm too lazy (right now) to sit down and figure out every little detail (Rulers, Nobles, Guilds, Criminals, Factions, etc) of a Major Coastal Trade City.

2) There are lots of online information on the blasted place that I can just tell Players to go and look up instead of wasting Game Time explaining it to each player (because there's almost always a late arrival.)
    Once they do that, explaining changes is lots easier. I kept only a few of the Old n/PCs.

Mirt the Moneylender and Unmasked Lord. Durnan the owner of the Yawning Portal.
    Xanathar (Although the current one might get replaced. See Hunting Xanathar here) and his Guild.
    I actually kept the Noble Family from Dragon Heist.
    I'm undecided about "Manshoon".

I don't really like the Seven Sisters, or Elminster (too much Dues Ex Machina), so they are gone. I haven't had anyone actually try and go talk to the Open Lord of Waterdeep (which is still female) so haven't really thought about who and what she is, although i might do that by the end of the month.

3) I love the Masked Lords. Really keeps those Murder-Hobos in check. Never knowing when they are going to attract the attention of at lease one, and more importantly - never knowing who any of them are.

Undermountain

For my games, I have and currently use Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

However, I also have everything I can find on Undermountain from each D&D Edition, and will use things out of those to mix things up

I've changed some of the restrictions that was put in here.

Divination spells only work on the Dungeon Level they are cast on.

Teleportation out of the Dungeon is allowed and fairly easy.
    Returning to where you were last time, is also usually allowed.
    Any kind of transportation magic used to get into the Dungeon (Plane Shift, Teleporting to a destination other than above) can have some rather interesting random outcomes, though.

Minor Transportation effects (Misty Step, Thunderstep, Blink, Dimension Door, and even Etherealness) are usually unaffected, although there is a chance that Halaster will take notice (and mess with it) if used too much. Especially if used to avoid/escape the Challenges he puts up, too often.

Spells that affect the environment or the Dungeon itself are not Permanent, including Walls of Stone, Stone Shape, or Disintegration cast on Dungeon Walls or Doors.

The Portals between Dungeon Levels are still there, but I've also put in stairs between these Levels, so that Players have more choices.

Monsters are usually prevented from traveling between Levels of the Dungeon by Wards, although Humanoids are (usually) not restricted.

Spoiler: Undermountain - Game TBD
    Show

Session One
    V-Human Rogue Thief
    This guy was the one in the group that managed to make a persuasion check good enough to get most of the members of the “Vampire” Gang to convert to his leadership.

New Gang: Yeah, this was not even close to a challenge to a 5th level party.
    As such I’m making one of the Leaders a Vampire Spawn with orders not to make any more Vampires.

I’m taking away the Flesh Golem and making it an Encounter elsewhere.

I need to do more research (and then changes) on Balder's Gate.

The City I normally don't like to use is Neverwinter. Didn't really play the game and few players want to go that far North.

But, I'm actually interested in a City further inland and away from the Coast. Suggestions?

Thoughts on Warrior enhancement
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    Feat
    Power Attack: Subtract Proficiency from attack to deal double that value in damage. Applies to both melee and ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleave
    Fighting Style: Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin and Ranger.

3rd level: Kill a foe and attack another within 5 feet.

6th: No limit to foes attacked, so long as the last was killed.

10th: Take a 5 foot free move while Cleaving foes.

14th: Able to use full movement while Cleaving Foes.[/Spoiler]

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Assuming that failing to charm a general can have negative side effects, but failing to Persuade a general can't, is obviously going to make charm seem useless. But that's not a pair of assumptions that are always going to be accurate.

Again, why are you ignoring the possibility of Things Going Wrong for non-magical plans? I'd argue that the non-dominated general is more vulnerable to Things Going Wrong, because anything which disrupts the premises of the arguments you made to them could ruin your whole deal.

...Add an ability that lets the fighter attack for increased damage? Maybe something like the barbarian's Reckless Attack, where you accept advantage-to-hit for double damage?

Quite probably. Which is why it probably makes more sense to make Cleave a Battlemaster maneuver than an entire fighting style. (Maybe Power Attack, too, if you want it to not overlap with GWM/Sharpshooter.)
    Partly because the effects of failure for the spell are listed in the book, and aren't for a failed Skill Check.

Mostly due to how the OP was started - ie "Martials are greatly overshadowed by casters" - that I put in my comments about how limited a lot of these "Auto Win" spells really are. Or at least, could be.

Most DMs that I've heard about, don't really have too much trouble dealing with mundane Challenges;
    Depending on the DM, and Personality of the General, the odds of said General making their Save and immediately having the Caster and/or Party executed can be a lot higher: where maybe the worst that happens on a failed Diplomacy would be arrest and imprisonment. With Exile next worst, and being given a Quest being maybe the best.

Things Going Wrong
    Is kinda the DM's job.

Now I can't think of every possible thing that the PC/s are going to try, but I can plan for things that are listed in the book (spells) or that are the most likely to be used (Skills).
    And Improve the rest.

Well, with the Fighting Style, I was hoping to help more Classes than just one Class' Subclass.

Maybe keep it a feat? Two at most?

Cleave including knockdown? (Str Save? Or opposed Str Check?)

Cleaving Terror: can Dash (Bonus Action?) so long as Cleaving?
    can even think of some Out of Combat uses for those.

Imagine being in the bar with the Martial having the Cleave feat, being able knock down those people between them and their target (person or the door), and other Party members just following in the cleared path behind them!

Or that Martial getting Cleaving Terror plowing through the crowded market without even slowing down!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    That's not a great reason to fit a square peg in a round mechanic. Maybe find some non-Cleave-line derivative way to boost martial classes?
    No new ideas at this time.

Spoiler: More stuff to ponder
    Show

Yes, the Town Guard not having at least Perception (both spot and listen for 3x) and Insight as skills didn't make much sense to me.

Using Points for Powers seems too much like 3x Psionics.
    Giving ‘casters’ more options, and Lots more for everyone to keep track of.
    The most unbalancing thing there was sacrificing lower level points for extra higher level powers.

IMO 5e is a little more "balanced" than 3.5.

Casters have Less Slots to use, but able to choose from any available spell of that level.
    Upcasting costs a higher level choice. (and does not add any extra higher level spells, see Psionics above.)

Concentration required for more spells. Which Stopped "Super Untouchable" combinations.

For spells: First, ditch Wish.
    That's only available from Powerful beings:
    Noble Genies, Arch-Devils/Dukes, Balor/Demon Lords, Archfey, and maybe Solars.
    (Sure, most Deities can do it, but their 'Price' is usually higher.)
    And no sympathy for those Players unhappy with the creative ways a DM 'screws the Wish up' !!!

If you want to allow Wizards to cast Cleric/Druid spells of 7th level or less with a 9th level spell slot, put in the 9th level Any Spell that the 3x D&D Magic Domain had.

Personally, I’d also switch Plane Shift and Astral Projection.

Have Miracle work like Wish normally does (without the 33% never cast again) in that the caster must be specific about what is asked for, and is still limited to the Portfolio and Domains of their Deity.
    Adding Tome of Battle for non-caster types?
    Without taking actual levels in the respective Classes?
    Maybe.
    I’d really have to have a Playtesting Group to figure this out for 5e.
    I did like the look of these, but sadly never had any players for them.
    Perhaps some 3e/5e combination might work?
    You're going to have to find some Playtesters to really work the kinks out.
    For me running a 3x variant game:
    I’d keep the 5e skill style, instead of tracking each Skill point spent per level.
    Racial, Background (2 skills), and then what is given for the base 5e Class
    (maybe just extra Languages for Int.)

Oh, and just keeping in mind that Dis/Advantage is a five point modifier.
    While I liked 3x for more Class Options (and easier to balance Monsters for ECL/CR calculations), 5e just flows better for actual play for me.
    (The 20th level Fighter getting up to Eight attacks at +11 to hit each - without magic, plus Subclass options - really helps “balance” this class more.)

Flexible DMs can help with the non-combat stuff for martials.
    With fewer 3x D&D (non-Pathfinder) dedicated players and lots more 5e players, I have been converting some of the 3x Classes (some better balanced than others - Factotum = ARG!!) into 5e, most as Subclasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie
    <snip> And that was a serious problem -- playing a magic user with all the constraints (that existed to make them balanced with everyone else) turned on was often seen as systematically unfun. That's the why for it moving away from that model in subsequent editions, but they never really constrained the power at the same rate as they eliminated constraints.
    IDK, 5e seems a lot more "Balanced" than all the other versions of D&D.

As I mentioned somewhere: Fewer Spell Slots per Spell Level, plus breaking up Known Spells between all Spell Levels (or a set value for maximum): plus Concentration on a lot of really useful/powerful spells.

Still want to add a little more OSR?
    All spell components are consumed, and the DM determines what spells can be cast with a Focus.
    Mostly an Accounting Tax, but not having the correct component for the spell you want when you need it is a great drawback, for 'balencing'.

I rarely have very many problems with Casters in my games, regardless of System/Edition.

First, foes aren't stupid.
    Even basic Animals show amazing adaptability IRL.
    Good Wis means that they learn fast, after a mistake is made. Int 6+ means maybe before the mistake is even made.

Next, sentient Races (usually Humanoid, but exceptions do exist) can just as easily be Classed as the PCs. (Figuring out 5e CR for some of these sometimes frustrates me)
    (both Volo's and Mord's have some of these, now)

Finally, put more Spellcasters and magic-using foes in Encountered Groups.
    (For PC groups without any spellcasters, maybe cut them a break, and either remove these foes, or at least lower the Caster level of them. A challenge is quite fine, but overwhelming firepower is just - to me - a killjoy.)

Also, I tend to use more items with non-renewing Charges.
    Especially Wands and Staves.
    For those items that do recharge daily, increase the Rarity by one level.
    Remember that Legendary Items are not casual treasure, and are not for sale.

Note: I also predetermine Treasure (especially magical) and have smart foes use these against the PCs.
    Earn that +2 flaming sword!
    Or Wand of Fireballs (8d6 damage, DC 15) with 20 charges!!
    Especially when used against you! Much shenanigans!

*one of many, another being not being able to choose what spells you got, and a tasty spell was as likely to come along for you as the fancy sword was for the fighter
    Yep, those scrolls (spellbooks were always in the Rare+ category) were indeed randomly determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Well, one third thing is the treasure table. Somewhere along the way gamers (or at least forum-goers) decided that 'but fighters can use magic swords, which often have as much power as wizards' was not an acceptable answer to the fighter-mu split, but there's no specific reason it can't be. Of course, that depends on whether you are trying to balance magic with non-magic (which I think is genuinely futile, as 'gets to break the rules' is going to almost inherently be more powerful than 'has to work within the rules'), or just casters with non-casters (which is doable, and plenty of systems have).
    Lots of those anti-mage players didn't like magical weapons (or other items) because they were made by some Caster, which made them think that this caused said casters to have more power over their characters, or get additional bonuses. See Crafters, below.

<snip> (you do start over at level 1 every time you die, right? Riiiight?)
    So, anyone got your back with a (pre)Paid-For Rez type spell (scroll)?

If not: While I won't make you start over at 1st level, I might say that the replacement PC is one level less than the Party. (Heh)

Spoiler: Magic Crafters
    Show
    Frankly, I find Magic Item Creation Casters incredibly boring.
    (Non-magic, too. I came to play a tRPG, not a version of Minecraft!!)

Sure, the quick one-time-use useful item (Common, or Uncommon) - or a +1 weapon that lasts maybe a month - for maybe a week of downtime and some gold spent, and a roll on the random “Mishaps” chart in XgE. Done.

But, seriously, anything magical that either lasts longer - or is more potent - really takes too long; and an Adventuring Caster is not going to like sitting on their tush for really Long Periods of Time making magical stuff while everyone else is out having fun (and gaining Levels and lots more Loot) without them.

Really, the only time that you would want to play a Crafter, is in a Low Magic World.
    In which case - Accept the loss of EXP and GP, and play another PC so your not sitting there bored during the game.

Can you expand upon this? What's the problem with Factotums? They are one of my favorite late-3e classes (for playing in the tier 3-4 power balance that they clearly were trying to normalize at that point). What problems are you having?
    Sadly, when I tried doing this Class, like at least two other members decided to make their own versions, and mine simply got ignored.

Spoiler: Factotum
    Show
    Now, no one ever tried to play this Class in any of my 3x gaming days.

And in fact, I was unaware of its existence until asked by one of my 5e players.

Looking it up, and reading it over; this class seemed to out-do all the Jack of All Trades Skill Monkeys. Literally able to use Rogue Skills and Divine Powers plus Arcane spell-like abilities, and in a way that the Bard (even in 5e) couldn't really match.

My attempt was Here

It was basically it's own Class - with two Subclasses, gaining and casting spells like a Warlock.

The player that was testing that, said that this just didn't feel like the "Versatile" character to him.

Said he should be able to change spells daily, like a Wizard, to demonstrate that versatility.
    (On top of all the other 'versatile' stuff I had for Factotum)

So I basically had to rewrite it, as a Wizard-type Half Caster, with half level + Int in Spells Known up to 5th level, and that still gets Spell Secrets like a Warlock for spells over 5th; Taking away Bard Spell choices (too many healing options) and also not allowing 9th level spells. Secrets unlocks some Bard spells, but no Cleric-specific spells.
    Mostly Healing, Restoration, Resurrection, and similar.

One thing he might not have realized (yet) is that the Factotum starts out with only 2 + Int Spells known, and while they do gain Slots for higher Level spells, they are required to find these on their own.
    This means that his spellbook has very few spells to choose from.

We haven't returned to the game where this Class was being tested (they wanted to make Characters to take on Xanathar, so we're doing that for a bit - and now doing my Star Wars game towards the end of each Month, with one other GM running another tRPG on the first week of each Month) so not sure how soon playtesting will resume.

If anyone is interested in trying to help me figure out how to finish this idea, please let me know - and I'll (legally) Necro the thread. I'd have to find where I made the notes on the changes, again.
    Spoiler: More stuff to ponder
    Show

Spoiler: Spellbook
    Show
    Wizard spells in book for 5e:
    Knows maximum of 5 Cantrips;
    4d10 max damage at +11 to hit or DC 19 save.

(01) 6 first Level spells
    (02) +2 first level spells = 8 first Level spells
    (03) 2 second Level spells
    (04) +2 second Lv spells
    (05) 2 third Level spells
    (06) +2 third Level spells
    (07) 2 fourth Level spells
    (08) +2 fourth Level spells
    (09) 2 fifth Level spells
    (10) +2 fifth Level spells
    (11) 2 sixth Level spells
    (12) +2 sixth Level spells
    (13) 2 seventh Level spells
    (14) +2 seventh Level spells
    (15) 2 eighth Level spells
    (16) +2 eighth Level spells
    (17) 2 ninth Level spells
    (18) +2 ninth Level spells
    (19) +2 any Level spells
    (20) +2 any Level spells

So, at 20th rank Wizard, this break down to 8 spells of first level and Four spells per spell level, plus 4 extra spells (any level) in their Spellbook. Costing 2,000+ gold.

Unless the DM is nice and gives Intelligence modifier to Spellbook per level, in found spells:
    9 spells per level, with 9 random spells.
    Like - at least a 10,000 gold investment.

Spoiler: Ramblings
    Show
    What I'm thinking is that it's not the spell slots that upset people; as always - it's the spells themselves.

People playing Mundane Martials don't like the fact that Casters can do about the same amount of damage they do to a single foe, but to a Group of foes. Never mind that successful Saves can reduce that even more, plus having damage type Resistant and even Immune Monsters.

Also, without those AoEs - the party would quickly be overwhelmed and end in a TPK.

Spoiler: Why
    Show
    do these people hate using Magical Items to grant them access to the things they are complaining about? Fly, Invisibility, etc?

Heck, there are now lots more Half-caster Subclasses available to Martials.
    Even the Barbarian has a couple Subclasses with some really cool magical Abilities, if used correctly.

Ok, sure, maybe being able to Climb the 50 foot Wall at 20th Rank, without Spider Climb, should be allowed.
    But not freely moving about on the ceiling.

If they really want real-life combat simulations, especially without Magic - they should just play World War 1 & 2 and similar Military Wargames or maybe Cyberpunk - or Spymaster (etc), instead of Fantasy/D&D.

Another thing that is usually overlooked during those "Martial vs Mage" debates, is that in each situation, the Player must choose if they need to spend a limited resource on 'insta-solving' it.

Because: Once out of Spell Slots, all Mages are very much screwed. Clerics just don't rely on magical armor to be protected, and can still hit as good as a Martial. Bards have a few things that can be done, once out of Slots, but very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon
    @Morty:
    Casters Being Binary is actually meant to be a real limit. Spells are not like skills.
    They do one thing, and it either works, or not.

All things you listed are situations where the Player is as Challenged as the Character. Knowing how to use/do stuff without magic can be just as fun as Nuking the Hobgoblin Army.
    Fighters can sac 4 (of 7) feats for Resistance, to get Proficiency in all saves. Which is a roll of 8+ on a d20.

Other Martials could also get all saves, and have one feat to spare, with vHumans having another.
    (Homebrew option)

Maybe I just think in ways that don't always seem right to others?

Now, I have removed Wish from the Mage's list.

Put a limit on how many Simulacrum one Mage can have.

And Genesis (now called Demiplane) is an Epic level power, that is also available to Clerics.
    (Druids can do it, but most prefer to just go to the Feywild)
    Literally making your own Demi-Plane isn't something that should just be readily available to every Mage.

I have other 'solutions' to Mages being OP, as well.

D&D Psionics was its own ball of WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It mistakes tedium and the sell / no-sell arms race for game balance, and where the List of Awesome leaves a hole, it falls back on a List of Symmetrical Completeness.
    I've kinda always believed that there should be more sell / no sell conditions for magic.

But, with actual reasons for why and usable rules for how they work.
    5e Energy Resistance is better then 3x, and Immunity is a flat no sell to the energy type.

Sadly, I don't have anyone near me to work on figuring these things out, and doing it over the net usually doesn't work, without lots of trial and error - and most folks here have things they would rather do.
    Like figure out how to better optimize their latest Broken Character idea...
    Not everyone, but....
    Let me see: Counting the People here, plus Tawmis, Man_Over_Game, Segev, PheonixPhyre and Grod_The_Giant.
    I'd have to go though some of my old posts to find anymore.
    (I'm at least trying)

While I'm a fan of D&D, I do my best to not be closed minded towards other RPGs. Including 4e D&D.
    I just can't get interested in them without people to play them with.
    And I can't really do more then maybe 4 games a week, without mental burnout.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1
    No problem. I was mostly highlighting that "if I reply to you, it does not imply I am contradicting you". This subthread started when you asked why people might still want more flexible martials even if you were nerfing the power of casters. So I described the desire for flexible martials in a manner that was independent of the power/flexibility of casters and also independent from the power of martials (the latter being emphasized by the comments about flexibility =/= power).
    Sorry, i was stuck on comparing your answers against a caster, instead of just against other martials.

And while thinking on how to have someone do something beyond the normal limits is how spells were made, they don't work outside of /magic.

Which is not what is wanted, atm.

As I said earlier, I cannot imagine mechanics for the highest level martials. My imagination has a limit. I can create mechanics for a 10th level Fighter slaughtering an army:
    1) Sweeping attack: Each melee attack hits 3 squares worth of foes. Makes even more sense if your movement can happen between attacks.
    2a) Volley ranged attacks: Shooting a volley of attacks, make a ranged attack at a penalty against each enemy in a 10ft radius.
    2b) Larger ranged attacks: Throwing a large object, make a single ranged attack at a penalty. It targets each enemy in a 10ft radius.

This is difficult but it is flexibility, not power, that martials lack and the player want. Attempts to merely staple on magic/casting solutions (see Tome of Battle) only work for some player. So the alternative is this process of recognizing the limits of imagination and then breaking through them.
    With some of the things from 3x I can imagine #1 of the above.
    But, it requires expenditure of a resource most will complain about: Feats.
    It starts with
    Power Attack. For 5e this would be reduce to hit by Proficiency to deal double that value in damage. (Power boost. Keep going.)

Cleave - drop one foe and attack next within 5 feet.
    (Flexibility?)

Great Cleave - no limit to number of foes dropped within 5 feat.
    (Power + Flexibility?)

Supreme Cleave - as Great, but also 5 foot move, and continue Cleaving until missing or failing to drop a foe.
    (Flexibility?)

Trail of Blood - Cleaving attacks up to full movement speed, so long as dropping foes.
    (Power + Flexibility?)

So, Q (1) would keeping these as feats in 5e be enough to achieve some of the higher level flexibility for martials? That way both fighters and Barbarians have equal access.

Or Q (2) would those be better as things that are added to the base features of one class?
    Most likely Barbarian.

I believe that (1) is closer to the goal.

#2 is what the Ranger's Hail of Thorns spell does.
    Limited to only one class, and therefore not wanted.

#2b can be pushing Believably - even in a Fantasy Game.
    A Halfling even with a 20 str should't be able to pick up a 10' diameter two ton rock and throw it 100 feet. (without serious magic!!)

um, still sympathizing with both authors and sad players.....

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Struck by a thought. Have to write it somewhere:

A way to make a flexible martials without limited resources / spellcasting:
    Start with a variety of basic endeavors: Attack, Movement, ..., ..., etc
    I suggest having the number of endeavors per turn and out of turn increase with level.
    Have a chapter of alterations: Knockback, Power Attack, ..., etc
    Alterations are not feats, you get access to all the ones you satisfy the unlock requirement for. No feats needed here.
    Each option in the chapter of alterations will have:

[1] An unlock requirement. For example Knockback might require Str 15, or Athletics Proficiency, or a Paraglider, or ..., etc

[2] A requirement of the endeavor it will modify. For example Knockback would require the endeavor contacts the target of the knockback

[3] A complexity cost. This prevents you from apply every compatible alteration each time you use an endeavor. Complexity ranges from 0 to some positive number. Negative complexity costs do not exist.

[4] An effect (duh) which might scale or even trigger another endeavor. Knockback might have distance scale off of an Athletics check, or maybe it kicks off a Pushing endeavor to determine the distance.

Each time the character uses an endeavor (and that can be multiple times per turn or out of turn) they can modify it with alterations up to some complexity cap (which increases with level).

So you have martials whose flexibility scales with: (content created, complexity cap (mostly direct level scaling), and achieving unlock thresholds (indirect level scaling)).

So you could have someone use this system to do things like:
    [A] Hit a boulder for fast travel
    [5] Give an ally cover as a reaction
    and many more
    I've noticed that Extra Actions are kinda hard outside Legendary Actions.

I can see Bonus and Reaction options being added, though. (Unless you meant completely rewriting the game Mechanics?)

(1) Ok.

(2)Bonus Action: Knockback:
    Opposed Str check or
    Str Save? (DC 8 + Proficiency + Str mod)

(3) complexity could be either Proficiency times per round (so not limited to just BA/RA) or perhaps on some other Ability - like Con?

(4) maybe knockback is opposed Str with the loser being shoved the difference between the Scores?

(5) Either as a Reaction with Protector Style?
    or sacrifice your Bonus Action next round?

(A) Uses BA and move, but triples normal jumping distance in combat? O-C maybe double hourly travel rates for Con mod hours?

As for imagination. I am mostly describing the kind of imagination limit. Other than understanding the limit, I don't have tips on how to expand that imagination. Although simply following this thread has helped me expand it slightly. I really was underestimating the flexibility movement speed (combined with additional actions mid move).
    Einstein said that Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

But IMO/E Knowledge is the foundation of Imagination.

Knowledge tells what is already possible,
    Imagination reaches for new limits.

The 3rd edition feats were an improvement from earlier versions. They let the martials gain at-will access to a limited number of combat tricks. Turns out the limitation of feats did not map well for growing flexibility with level. I attempt to address this below by having the alterations have unlock requirements rather than costing feats.

Yes you could increase 5E martial flexibility by combining a bunch of 3rd edition feats and class features as a 5E feat. For example look at the War Hulk prestige class and turn that into a feat named War Hulk which gives access to Sweeping attacks and Large ranged attacks. Sometimes expanding the flexibility will require making your own content / feats / class features.

Or yes, maybe adding more features to the base classes / subclasses would be a good idea. Avoid increasing the vertical power of the class too much (some is okay) because it is the horizontal power that is desired.
    There are things that 3x D&D had that don't convert to 5e very well.

Making the War Hulk a feat could be neat, but in order to prevent too much O.P needs a limit. Maybe treats thrown objects as being proficient, but with maybe a 25/50 foot range?
    Can use Extra Attack, but not Two-weapon Fighting or Multi-attack?

You could change Hail of Thorns from a Ranger spell into a basic combat option at 6th+ or 11th+ level. Use an accuracy penalty to rebalance.
    I would most likely do so at 11th level, mostly to not overshadow the Ranger's coolness too early.

Fair, maybe it is not a 2 ton boulder. Just a large object. If 20 strength can lift it then it probably hurts several goblins. Maybe it even skids across the ground like a comet.
    Let me see (5e) 20 Str times 15 = 300 pound rock. Um, how big would that be?
    Like maybe a 3 foot diameter rock? Figure being able to throw that 10 feet with no problem, and maybe up to 20 feet at disadvantage? A Medium sized creature could throw that 15/30.
    A Large creature could maybe throw that 20/50?

Since this is the general RPG area I was spitballing new mechanics.
    This kind of system would be more aimed at if someone was authoring a new edition of an RPG.
    Without some idea of the mechanics they would be using for the engine, I'll stick with what I (mostly) know.

You have good ideas. I expect you could make your own list of alterations.
    Wow! Thanks!!!

5) I was thinking of using a reaction to hit an object between your ally and the attack.
    So the Hold Person spell fails because it hits the object instead.
    Well, for 5e, I could see doing that giving Advantage to the Save....
    Other RPGs might allow negation.

To convert to 5E D&D maybe:
    1) Replace Extra Attack with an Extra Endeavor per turn.
    2) Let all martials do an Endeavor as a reaction. (Different martials get access to different ones as reactions?)
    3) Complexity limit per Endeavor is equal to their Proficiency
    4) Have Attack, Move, Push, ... as some base Endeavors
    5) Push would move a target further with a higher success. Additionally it could be used on objects.
    6) Rebalance these.
    7) Some alterations
    (1) I'd rather make it where Endeavors could be added to each attack, but maybe limited number of uses per round - see #3. Martials (other than Rogues) don't really get a lot of things to use BAs/RAs on. I'm not sure, though. Some of these I could see being used more than once a round, with each successful hit - like the Conditions that a Monk imposes on a hit. At no Ki cost.

(2) Same problem as (1).

(3) This is a good limit.
    Maybe a Feat (11th level requirement) that adds either Dex or Cha to that limit for higher levels?

(4) Push/Toss, Drag/Move, Slide.

(5) Foes can try to oppose? Objects have a weight limit?

(6) Playtesting stage

(7) Most likely; more than once.

Knockback [Attack or Push][Complexity 3]:
    • Unlock: Str 16 or Athletics proficiency.
    • Requirement: The endeavor hits a target.
    • Effect: Make a Push endeavor against the same target at half your Complexity max.
    Perhaps a Str Save DC 8 + Proficiency + Str modifier. Target moved back half maximum speed?

Sweeping [Attack or Push][Complexity 4]:
    • Unlock: Str 20, Large Size, or Athletics expertise.
    • Requirement: The endeavor hits a target.
    • Effect: The endeavor hits all targets in 3 continuous squares in reach.
    Expertise locks this into Rogue (or Bard, but only Swords and Valor might be able to do it).
    I'd suggest: Large Size or 20 Str plus 13 Dex and proficient in Athletics.

Roll separately for each target; with Disadvantage after first target?

Mighty Push [Attack or Push][Complexity 1]:
    • Unlock: Str 16, Athletics proficiency.
    • Requirement: The endeavor moves a target.
    • Effect: Take a -5 penalty on the endeavor. Double the movement.
    • This can be applied multiple times.
    Yes, Bonus Action to allow movement by user to keep pace with target.
    Opposed Str (Athletics) check with target pushed Double the difference in feet each time.

Launch [Push][Complexity 2]:
    • Unlock: Str 18, Large Size, or Athletics proficiency.
    • Requirement: The endeavor moves a target.
    • Effect: Halve the distance the target moves. Instead it also is thrown upwards that high.
    • This can be applied multiple times.
    Requires Bonus Attack to initiate, must hit target, opposed Str (athletics) check?

Up the Walls [Movement][Complexity 3]:
    • Unlock: Dex 18, 40ft Speed, or Acrobatics expertise.
    • Requirement: The movement is adjacent to a wall.
    • Effect: You run up the wall. You gain 5ft of altitude per 10ft you move.
    Requires Bonus Attack to initiate? Would still allow movement, and attacking foes on ceiling (if within range) as part of their Actions on their Turn.

3e Birthright tried to do the "from start to finish" Domain Management, but very few people really got into it. I didn't really play Birthright, but I heard there was a lot of backstabbing and unfriendly PvP that happened. Like the worst of Game of Thrones and Intrigue based "The Americans" plus Gangbusters.

Some more Random thoughts:

I just remembered some things that could also cut some Multiclassing Mages down from their perch.

Again, going back to older Editions of D&D.
    It was specifically stated that Mages were not allowed to cast spells while wearing Armor (Also, taking away the spell failure percentages) and this limitation applied even when Multiclassing.

Sure, it means the Soradin is less spiffy, but also means that the Fighter/Wizard (Diviner) isn't walking around in Adamantine Full Plate.

I also don't let Regular shield and Shield spell bonuses stack. Kills that +10 to AC (even if only for that round at 17th level) that very few Class/Subclasses can match. This also makes Players think harder about their options.

Next, spell slots don't stack, and only apply to their own class.

Which kills the Coffeelock (Warlock spell slots cannot be converted into Sorcerer points), and stops the "never ending" Smite Palalock.

It also prevents Multiclassing Mages to Upcast otherwise low power spells into more powerful slots. Shows a true benefit to dedicated casters.

Now, you might be thinking:
    "But, that doesn't stop the Monk/Mage from being OP."

But, I offer the following:
    Splitting those two classes means that the PC is most likely MAD, and the Player isn't getting the full benefits of either class, and anyone remaining focused on only one of those classes is going to be lots better at doing that class, then the Multiclassed PC.

Yes, I know this is just reducing the vertical Power level of some Multiclassing Mages.

I'm still working on increasing the horizontal for Martials.
    Mostly, I find that the various Summons (which are the most common) are basically the Caster adding a few Mooks into the combat. A warrior at anything over 5th level that is properly equipped can deal with even 8 wolves (giant wolf Spiders are a little harder, but only if they hit, and the warrior fails their Con save and is then attacking with Disadvantage) attacking them.

And even being able to bring in a CR 10 Devil with Infernal Calling (costing the Mage their only 9th level slot) isn't much of a threat to most CR 17+ Challenges. Plus, said Devil is hostile to the Mage and allies; and the mage losing Concentration frees the Devil to do whatever it wants for three minutes….

Clerics burning a 7th level slot for a CR 5 Celestial (Unicorn), is really pathetic, IMO.
    But, like stated above, even the CR 10 Deva wouldn't really make too much difference
    'm not arguing that Mages don't have power, but I'm saying that having that power causes problems that make it difficult for them. Everyone with any kind of Status (money or political position) is going to bother the Mage/s for everything from "Solving a small problem" to making custom magical items (that burn Downtime). Even if the Mage manages to get an escape Mechanism in place, there are ways to counter that, or force them to use it while being pursued (putting a trap or Ambush at the "safe" location, if known)

Being Famous is a double sided blade (and affects all classes differently) or at least should be.

Really, Casters other than Clerics try to avoid being too well known. It's why the Hermit Mage/Druid is a trope.

Spoiler: Undeath Domain v2
    Show

Undeath Domain (changes)

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    <snip>
    Balm of the Grave
    Beginning at 1st level when you select this domain whenever you cast a spell that grants additional or restores hit points of first level or higher you may choose to grant temporary hit points equal to 5 times the spell’s level to all undead within 10ft of the target.

Channel Divinity: Command Undead
    As an Action you can command one or more Undead. You can command a number of undead within 30 ft whose combined CR does not exceed your level, those with the lowest CR are affected first. Undead with intelligence scores of 8 or less are controlled for 24 hours. Undead with intelligence scores of 12 or less are controlled for 1 hour. Undead with Intelligence scores of 13 or more are controlled for 1 minute and may retryl their save at the end of each turn.

Channel Divinity
    Repel the Living
    All living creatures within 20 feet of the Cleric must make a Charisma Save or take the Cleric's level plus Charisma Modifier in Necrotic damage, with a successful save reduces this to half.

All Rise
    Spoiler: animals
    Show
    Beginning at 6th level after selecting this domain, you can target the remains of nonhumanoid creatures with the Animate Dead spell. You can create Skeletal or Zombie versions of these creatures. The maximum CR of such creatures is your Cleric Level -4. Raising such a creature requires a Spell Slot equal to half its CR rounded down. The creature counts as a number of Skeletons or zombies equal to 2 times its CR.
    Use the entry for the creature in the Monster Manual with the following exceptions:
    —Creature Type Changes to Undead
    —they lose any Spellcasting or Psionics trait and gain immunity to poison and disease.
    —They are limited to melee and ranged attacks.
    —Skeletal creatures rise with 1/2 their normal hit point total and vulnerability to bludgeoning damage.
    —Zombified creature’s lose any Multiattack Action and their speeds are reduced by 10 feet but they gain the Undead Toughness trait.

Plague of Undeath
    Beginning at 6th level, Undead you create have Turn Resistance and are tainted with a cursed state; Living Creatures hit by your undead, have their maximum HP reduced by the amount dealt. (these are regained with a long rest) Upon death, those affected rize as Undead for one minute. (each)
    Spoiler: plague
    Show
    When they hit a living creature with a bite or claw attack the target must succeed on a Con save vs your Spell DC or become poisoned. While poisoned, The target’s maximum hit points are reduced by 5 at the end of each long rest, a creature that dies in this way rises as a zombie or skeleton after the next sunset. These undead also carry the cursed plague.

Lifedrain
    At 8th Level and beyond, once on each of your turns, when an Undead creature under your control hits with a melee attack you can choose to have it deal an additional 1d8 necrotic damage. At 14th level this improves to 2d8.

No Life King
    Beginning at 17th level the doors of death close to you and you become a Vampire Lord or Mummy Lord, you gain the special resistances, immunities, vulnerabilities, traits, and actions described in the MM using your Spell DC or appropriate bonuses to hit and damage. You do not gain any legendary actions or lair actions.

These are the things that I do when I'm DM-ing to build trust with my players:

Spoiler: Open Games
    Show
    (Remember that, unlike you, I run an open game at 2 FLGS, and get Random Players of every Exp/Skill Level. So far, I've managed to get good dedicated Players in both.
    But, I have lost some Players, too. A few due to RL getting in the way; as well as some that just went Ghost)

1) I advertise online - and announce at the table - what Game, Edition, and Campaign World I'm using and the fact that it is Homebrewed. (D&D, 5e with changes to some Classes, and modified Faerun)
    (I'm going to return to typing the list of all the changes, and my reasons for why; and start printing that as a handout for Players)

2) The Style my game is based on.
    (Heroic, and OSR playstyle in a player-driven Sandbox Living World)

"If you're PC does nothing, then nothing exciting/interesting happens to them."

"The World is in constant motion, and Time doesn't stop. What the PCs do can change the Fate of the World."

3) Announcement that PvP isn't welcomed.
    My limits for non-good PCs in my Games.
    CN isn't allowed, due to abuse.
    TN isn't allowed, being The Unmotivated NPC.

Evil PCs discouraged, but not banned by me.
    (The All Evil Party still needs to be Team-oriented, since I'm not interested in running D&D Solo games. If I'm doing mostly Solo gaming with occasional team-ups, I'd rather just run Shadowrun or a heavily modified World of Darkness - mostly to allow more "Types": Werewolves, Vampires, Mage/Mummy, and Hunters. I don't allow Changeling, Wraith, or Demon PCs)

3a) PCs need strong self motivations.
    Don't rely on me (or other Players) to involve your Character in whatever is going on In Game. (Not to be confused with cooperative inter-player Stories (past, present, future) and Plot creation and/or World Building with me, using the PC's Background and Backstory.)

4) I don't use a Screen. All rolls are Open, and I don't Fudge Die Rolls to "make a better story". Players do have access to things to help their PCs: From Inspiration/Luck to helpful DmPCs.

After a few attacks, I'll announce the Monster's AC.

I'll do my best to telegraph any Homebrewed changes to a Monster. Descriptions of better armor/thicker hide for AC. Place more than one NPC that has seen the Monster use an unusual ability or power. With all other NPCs pointing those inquiring PCs to those in the know.

Various Knowledge Checks to know things IC about a Monster. I make it fairly easy: DC 10 + CR.

Arcana for Elementals and magical creatures. From Firenewts to Dragons.

Nature for Humanoids, Giants, Beasts, Monstrosities, and Aberrations.

Religion for Undead and Dimensional Beings: Celestials, Fiends, etc.
    (both Arcana and Religion know about the Astral to Outer Planes, Ethereal to Elemental Planes, the Realms in the Shadow Plane, and the Feywild)

History to know a Race's culture and relations with other Races. As well as knowing about historic events and "Legendary" Items.

Investigation can get what a failed Knowledge check misses.
    Give the party an item that allows a Long Rest even while in the Wilderness or Dungeon.

In 3x - I created a Figurine that cast Leomund's Tiny Hut once a day.
    It could hold up to ten people, up to Large Size.

For 5e, this would most likely be a Rare item, with Leomund's Secure Shelter being Very Rare, and Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion being Legendary.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-07 at 11:36 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!