Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
Well, think about how primitive humans went about it. They killed creatures or foraged their skins, bones, etc. as tools.

I had in mind seashells. So whatever those are made from. Again, I'm not a biochemist, marine biologist, flow based physcist and historian, and can't tell you what exactly are you going to build next stage, as I said, I'm not that intimately familiar with materials that are available under the sea. If I had full list, I could probably give a better answer, but that's probably impossible because we don't know marine biology/chemistry that well.

Are you implying life isn't a quirk of fate? That it's somehow only possible for humans to evolve to this stage? What if a comet hit 100,000 years ago, extinguishing all terrestrial life? That there somehow wouldn't be an advanced intelligence out there in the sea?

Ok, do me a favor, prove that human ancestors could evolve into a space-faring civilization using your knowledge of marine biology and marine chemistry. Go. I'll wait.

No. I explain how they could get stone tools (because they are already using them), but you ask about metal age? I claim they don't necessarily have the metal age at the same level and same stage as humans, and explain it's hard to tell, because the next stage could be wildly different for them compared to us.

The details you are asking about, are so minute that essentially answering them would be the equivalent of writing a hard Sci-Fi novel.
I hope youre aware that none of this is a particularly satisfying response to, well, any of the issues, at least in my eyes. If you cant even imagine what the next stage could potentially look like, if not with metals, why are you so certain that there even could be a next stage? Civilization is not the norm, if you removed humanity from Earth during the early stone age, theres no guarantee at all that we would have a similarly advanced civilization of, say, gorillas ruling the world by now. Yes, it may be a "quirk", but its also immensely complicated, requiring the culmination of a huge number of largely unrelated factors coming together to create the ideal environment for society to happen.