Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post
That is way too good though. That is just a lot superior to the spell shield. It is like 10 level 1 spell slots when you reached 13th level. Guardian (renamed it to protector since the subclass uses the spell spirit guardians as well) was aimed to be an alternative to shield but with a longer duration. When I was writing the subclass, I almost decreased it to +1 bonus to AC since I thought it might be too good as it was with +2.
I disagree with the balance assessment there. First, to use this you're not using one of the other features, making actually casting shield a better choice most of the time. Second, it's explicitly worse than the shield spell for the majority of the career. Most characters never see 13th level (according to WotC data indicating most campaigns end before 7th level spells come into play).

If you're that concerned about preserving the ascendancy of the Shield spell, then you could have it function like a parry rather than an AC buff, adding prof to AC for the triggering attack only. Still very good, just not as good when you're being focus fired.

Good luck either way!