Quote Originally Posted by GorogIrongut View Post
Behold Arcie the ridiculously lucky Arcane Trickster (Reinhart Coralis MacRory, I'm curious to see who knows where that comes from).

Stout Halfling for the +1 Con and Dwarf-like Poison resistance. You want to get your hands on a pair of Night Vision Goggles as soon as possible. This starts you off with Lucky, Brave, Nimble & Stout Resistance. All winners.

Point buy:
Str 8
Dex 15 +2 for racials= 17 +1 at level 4= 18
Con 13 +1 for racials= 14
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 10
8 hp
Skills: Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth (expertise), Arcana, Investigation & Perception (expertise)

Level 1 Rogue: 10hp, Expertise, d6 Sneak Attack & Thieves Cant
Level 2 Rogue: d8+2 HP and Cunning Action
Level 3 Rogue: d8+2 HP, 2d6 Sneak Attack & Arcane Trickster (Mage Hand Legerdemain)
Spells: Mage Hand/Light/Booming Blade & Find Familiar (unlimited spell)/Disguise Self/Sleep (soon to be swapped out)
Level 4 Rogue: d8+2 HP, Spell: Silent Image & and ASI (Squat Nimbleness gives you a +1 to dex to even it out. It bumps up your speed from 25' to 30'. It also gives you acrobatics. The group I play in rule that if you already have the skill, then you get expertise in it. If your group is different, then you have a spare skill to pass around. This also gives you advantage on any escape grappling checks. This is a racial feat in Xanathar's.
Level 5 Rogue: d8+2hp, 3d6 Sneak Attack & Uncanny Dodge
Level 6 Rogue: d8+2hp & Expertise. I would put this in Investigation and another of your choice depending on how you want to play.
Level 7 Rogue: d8+2hp, 4d6 Sneak Attack, Evasion & you get 2nd level Spells (4/2). This is an important level as your restriction to Enchantment/Illusion spells gets good with level 2 spells. You have access to Invisibility/Mirror Image/Phantasmal Force/Shadow Blade/Suggestion. Swap out Sleep and pick the two of these spells that best suit your play style.
Level 8 Rogue: d8+2hp, Another Unlimited spell, and an ASI. The unlimited spell could be Shield/Absorb Elements from level 1. It could be something as simple as Dragon's Breath, Misty Step or Web from level 2. It all depends on how you play. You have many choices with your ASI. 18 dex is respectable but 20 is even better. This character is meant to be lucky, so really there are only 2 choices. Go with the obvious and get the feat Lucky to complement your Halfling Luck. Or return to Xanathar's and help the party by getting Bountiful Luck. I don't have to explain the benefits of Lucky. It matches nicely with character and is a nice power boost. The less obvious choice is to go with Bountiful Luck. The ability to expend your reaction and save a party member from disaster can be crucial. The same goes for those moments when you have to hit and your paladin rolls a 1. This doesn't wear out unlike Lucky. You end up lending your luck to your teammates. I plan on getting both in the long run.
Level 9 Wizard: d6+2. This helps plug all those spellcasting holes from being only an Arcane Trickster. You get 3 new cantrips (Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation,Toll the Dead). You get a spell book with 6 spells in it (plugging holes with Shield, Detect Magic,Identify, Guiding Hand, Healing Elixir, Snare). Now you can cast rituals. Throw in a little Arcane Recovery and this is nice. Yes... you lose a bit of Rogue progression, but there is a pay off for the character build in just a second.
Level 10 Wizard: d6+2, 2 spells for the Spell Book (Mage Armour & Comprehend Languages). I keep picking spells that are rituals and give out of combat utility. This makes the character an insane skill monkey while simultaneously avoiding the potential pitfall of only having 14 in Intelligence. If you play this character correctly, the whole party will love you. Most parties check the wallets when they see a rogue coming. This one can steal, if necessary... but does so many things to strengthen the party without stealing the limelight.
At level 2 in Wizard, you choose to specialize in Divination. You now have access to the Portent ability. You can now roll 2 d20's and substitute them for you, your party or the opponents' rolls depending on what you roll. This means you're leaning further into the 'Lucky' concept for the character. If necessary you have the ability to cause someone to auto fail or auto succeed... for your benefit.

This is essentially the point I've taken this character to. Admittedly, the DM allowed us to start off with a free racial feat. So I already have Squat Nimbleness, Bountiful Luck and Lucky. But the pathway is pretty much the same. My intention is to ride the utility of the Rogue Class and Arcane Trickster Sub class through to level 20. I will still get 3 more ASI's, a hefty sneak attack and loads of sneaky shenanigans.

p.s. I haven't really explained all the potential tricks you can pull with the Arcane Trickster as it has been said many times elsewhere and applies equally here. The concept of the character is to get as many 'luck-bending' effects packed into one character for the benefit of yourself and the rest of the party. Throw in ritual magic and the skill monkey framework and you should be able to do something in every situation without stealing anyone else' thunder.
I love this! I’m currently playing an AT, and I have the same stats and skills as you. My guy is an eladrin though, and I’m only at level 4.

Anyway, I’m thinking of a similar progression as yours, and seeing you map it out looks great. There’s no wizard or sorcerer in my party, and I’m really looking forward to some kind of wizard dip for my character in the future. Conjuration, divination, and bladesong all offer great level 2 benefits.

Again, thank you for some guidance.