Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
What do people think are the strongest untapped cards in modern?

Personally I think scheming symmetry, mox amber and counterbalance are the ones just waiting to break. Symmetry seems extraordinarily powerful, it just hasn't found a home yet.
I think the word you're looking for is sleeper.

Counter Balance was only ever good because of Sensei's Divining Top. This can be seen in Legacy where it was the best deck in the format, then top got banned, and people have tried without success to find a replacement for it.
Wizards are aware of the card, so they're probably not printing something that breaks it, though I'm not gonna rule out something that might actually make it playable, but I doubt it.

Mox Amber's restriction is just super rough. I don't think it's good enough to warrant the hoops you have to go through to enable it.

Scheming Symmetry is very recent, and on a lot of peoples radars. People are talking about it in mill and lantern in modern, though mill is a bit more fringe, and Urza has kind of taken lantern's spot. If it's gonna end up not seeing play it's gonna be because it's not good enough. Can it then see play somewhere down the line? It's possible, but I'm not sure what better home it could get.

It keeps being said, but goblins have to become playable at some point with how much they are printing/reprinting for them, so there's at least 10 sleeper cards right there.

Porphyry Nodes is also a really strong card that I would not be surprised if suddenly saw a lot more play.