Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
None of those is a bad character at all, In fact quite the opposite, those are great characters that can't solve every problem or situation at a game but can be very important at others. I would argue that these are great characters that promote playing as a team.
How do you define playing as a team then? Because in my view they do the exact opposite.

For example, in combat I would say good team work would be something like the fighter draws the monster's attention, the rogue stabs it in the back, the wizard debuffs it, the cleric heals the fighter, and the bard gives everyone a bonus to their dice rolls.

But if you have an overspecialized character in the group they will either take out the monster solo or sit in the back doing nothing, which in my mind is the opposite of teamwork.

Likewise in an infiltration mission you might have one guy bluff the guards, one guy keep watch, and one guy open the locks. If you have an overgenerilzed guy in this situation, if he volunteers for any of these tasks he is just going to be told "No, let someone with a higher score in the relevant area do it," and thus he will either sit back and do nothing or he will attempt to participate and actively lower the group's chance of success; again not great for teamwork imo.