Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
Maybe so, but I don't see how that backs up your claim that overspecialized or overgeneralized characters are great because they promote teammwork.
I also don't see how they are underestimating the Jack of all trades, if he has no (or almost no) abilities that are unique or numbers that are higher than his teammates, why would they ever let him do anything? His only time to shine is when you need a backup because one of his teammates is incapacitated.
Overspecialized are great for teamwork since you can depend on them to do what they are specialized at while other characters can shine at whatever the Overspecialized character lacks.
Overgeneralized characters can be great whenever you have few PCs and that character allows the other players to build characters as specialized as they want. And more importantly, he can participate at all kinds of quests.

Also, I am getting kind of a disconnect between how you view shstems and how you view GMs. You say that any system that allows wildly divergent characters is flawed, but at the same time any DM who tries and restrict players for party cohesion is also flawed. In my mind p the opposite should probably be true.
Designers and GMs have different responsibilities.
Say, for example, you were making a Marvel comics RPG. I would think the System would be flawed if it couldnt create characters as imbalanced as, say Thor and Daredevil, but at the same time I would think there would be every expectation that GM would place different limitations on characters in a Defenders game than they would an Avengers game or an X-men game.
The game should place those limitations if needed.