Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
On the other hand, I've seen a lot less of the "jack of all trades" failure states. Mainly because I play 5e, where you don't need to be the best to contribute meaningfully.
I have seen it a fair bit, normally when someone tries to make a D&D style cleric in a point buy game.

I had a long running campaign where one of the players tried to be a crafter, a priest, a technomancer, and a sharpshooter all at the time time, and he was really good at all of those things. The problem was, he didn't put any points into defenses, and he spent most of the session lying on the floor bleeding out. It wasn't fun for him as he wasn't participating, didn't like the thought of his character as a punching bag, and ended up contributing less to the parties success as he wasn't able to act a lot of the time.

A more recent example was someone who wanted to be a wind mage, a priest, a magical healer, a mundane healer, a martial artist, and the party face all at the same time, and he basically failed roll after roll after roll, to the point where the rest of the party simply discounted him in their plans as his rolls were too low to actually make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
Then, you are wrong in that claim.
I asked you for evidence to back up your claim several posts ago.

I can provide tons of evidence if you would like, although at this point that might not be very productive. Phoenixphyre provided a very good explanation of the situation in the post directly above yours if you would like to dispute it, that way its not just you and me going back and forth.