1. - Top - End - #516
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Legendary Actions and More of Talakeal's Gaming Horror Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus
    The play would likely be much worse for the audience (and probably for the actors, too) if every character followed the Power Rangers rule of "balance".[1]

IMO, you get much better stories when you aren't forced to give every actor equal spotlight time. Similarly, you get much more fun games when you aren't forced to follow artificial constraints of maintaining mechanical [2] or even narrative balance between party members[3]. When every player is happy playing their role in the emergent story.
    [1] Sure - Some systems (various Superhero RPGs, a modified Battletech/Robotech, or Rifts, etc) are better to use for the Power Ranger “Balance” rules, and others are not a great choice: Like using something like D&D to do that, because shoe-horning every Class into some kind of Colored Suit where they all look (mostly) alike - will most likely not interest most players.

But - this depends more on the Players and their expectations from the Game.
    If the entire Group bought into the “D&D-ized” Power Ranger theme, didn’t mind only being able to fight Mooks outside their Bots; and the Bots themselves either had unique abilities, or allowed the PC/s to “channel” their Class Abilities (and not just Spells) when Driving them - I’m sure the Group would have loads of fun.
    Especially when combining to make the Mega-Bot to fight the Tarrasque.

[2] While I can (mostly) agree that it is not always required to maintain Mechanical balance, each Player does need at least some means to use the Mechanics to benefit their PC. Otherwise, you get the same effect as the Martial/Wizard Gap that a lot of people complain about.

[3] As for Narrative Spotlighting: I tend to actually find the opposite for most of my games.
    Your statement (seems to) favors the Ideal Group, where each Player has most likely made their (current) Favorite PC and they share the Spotlight amongst themselves.

In a lot of my games - If I don’t focus the Spotlight on all the Members of the Group, those that are more outspoken will overshadow those that aren’t. (New/Shy Players) Which means there’s a good chance that these Players will not want to return to my table; because no one likes being ignored - especially in a situation where everyone is supposed to be involved. Even OoC involvement - can help here.

Now, I will acknowledge your point to an extent. The story does revolve around what the Player/s are doing, and the Spotlight might not shine on every Player during the session.
    But, once the focus Player’s (immediate) goal is achieved, the Spotlight does move to the next person - even if I need to put it on someone that hasn’t done something for awhile.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-21 at 08:57 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!