I don't think Sylvain doesn't have more going for him, he's certainly talented and cares for the people he loves. So far none of the characters have been badly written, at least not the ones I've dealt with. Still have two Black Eagle games to go. Will probably go on a recruiting spree when I do the Church Route since by then, everyone will have the option of a B rank with me if everything goes to plan. I'm only in chapter six of my Blue Lion game and I've got B rank with my entire class and they all have at least B rank with one another. So yeah, way way different than my last game.

I'm coming to the conclusion, level 20 now, that you really should go for front line combat roles with Byleth. He's kinda bland as an archer and I'm kinda regretting taking him that route but I'm already 20 levels in and sunk cost falacy has set in. I can always buy his sword skill to A+ since I got it last game and I already got him to Reason B since that's where I left it. I wish you could have a mage/archer build then I'd maybe feel a little better.