Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
I think the biggest thing about a silent protagonist is how the other characters act around them. I thought Breath of the Wild did an okay job with Link - even in the cutscenes with lots of talking, he came off as kind of a quiet guy hanging out with a person who likes to talk. A lot of other games have points where your character really ought to be chiming in, but just stands around while everyone else talks over them. Crysis 2 was especially bad about that - your character nearly got shot because he was apparently incapable of just telling a guy what was going on. And I got thoroughly tired of the lampshading in Portal 2. Which is kind of weird, because the game is empty enough that they could probably get away with it. GLADOS and Wheatly talk a lot,but there was never much to be gained by talking back to them. DOOM(2016) also did a good job. There wasn't much to say, but it always seemed like the Doomguy was too angry to talk, not incapable.
I always figured that Alcatraz in Crysis 2 was a literally silent protagonist, as in he was so shot to bits he was physically incapable of speech.