Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
I don't particularly like the D&D approach to dragons, so I don't use them - and while there are a number of things I dislike there the color coding is pretty high on the list. Shortly after it is the generic spellcaster with generic spell list problem; were I to not just go for the big dangerous animal approach (which I favor) I'd at least want to do something with magic that isn't just the same spells everyone gets. Granted, that might be more a function of disliking the D&D approach to magic than anything.

I also don't tend to actually use them, or for that matter monsters much at all. The overwhelming majority of active opposition in basically any of my campaigns is other humans, regardless of genre. There's probably something else in most genres (even a historical game might have you see an angry horse or rampaging elephant), but outside of automated drones in certain futuristic settings they're making a pretty minimal appearance.
Ooh, yeah, dragons in my games cast completely differently than most PCs, but that requires custom rules that a friend built that I since have been expanding on.