View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1179 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    All of this talk about old games makes me wish I still had my old NES. Then again, I can't remember the last time I saw a coaxial cable, so I probably couldn't hook it up anyway.
    The original model of NES (not the toploader, which is thus inferior) supported composite video via a RCA port on the side of the unit, which most TVs still support. Unfortunately, modern TVs are really, really bad at analog-to-digital conversion, and upscaling takes time as well. Unless you have a really nice TV, using an older console with a flatscreen induces significant lag. This means that retro collecting either requires you to buy an expensive upscaling unit, or else find a CRT.

That said, the old hardware isn't that expensive, although a fair number of the games are getting up there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Wait, what? Now you have picked my curiosity, because that was the first text game I ever played, and I do not remember having any problem to solve it, as a 10 years old child, beyond some language barriers that my handy pocket dictionary used to solve.
    At one point in the game, you encounter a snake. You have a sword in your inventory, the description of which even includes a snake. Obviously, you kill the snake with the sword, right?

You can kill the snake to get past it, but that hurts you later. Instead, you get a bridle from a genie, then throw the bridle at the snake. The snake turns into a winged horse, which gives you a magic sugar cube. The magic sugar cube nullifies poison, allowing you to survive a scratch from the poisonous thorns guarding Dracula's castle.
    Last edited by Gnoman; 2019-09-13 at 06:57 PM.