View Single Post

Thread: Visualizing a Savage Bard

1. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Visualizing a Savage Bard

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    That really depends on what your focus is with your bard, what instrument/s are you thinking, melee, ranged, caster?
    This isn't actually for a character.

Running through the different perform skills, I would say:

Act (comedy, drama, mime) - Performer and MC in gladiatorial combat rituals and pageants
    Comedy (buffoonery, limericks, joke-telling) "Diss rapper". Mocks opponents to embolden the troops.
    Dance (ballet, waltz, jig) - Battle dancer, probably involved in dance rituals outside of combat. Lackluster BAB because twirling battle dances aren't exactly the most efficient way of fighting.
    Oratory (epic, ode, storytelling): Warleader who leads the hakas and the battlechants, tells the stories of ancient warriors to inspire the troops, very marshal-y
    Percussion instruments and wind instruments - Someone who beats the wardrums or blows the battlehorns
    Sing (ballad, chant, melody) - Much like oratory, except because they're singing instead of yelling, probably more mystical and shaman-y than marshal-y

Keyboard instruments and string instruments would be a little harder to figure out and primitive societies tend to have fewer of those.

-----

I was actually thinking of this in the context of someone mentioning what seems like an unlikely fluff combination, savage bard into Sublime Chord. Unlikely because Sublime Chords live in a refined college and study the mysteries of the universe. Now, if you have a tribal type who sings "the song of the gods" and keeps the myths, that actually fits very well with the Sublime Chord ethos of uncovering the music of the celestial spheres or whatever.

But unless it's a story of someone who *was* savage and got "civilized", I'm not seeing how the savage battle-lust part plays into the story.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-09-16 at 05:16 PM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ