View Single Post

Thread: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

1. - Top - End - #882
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    There are several cases where you refer to using shade that is more than 5, but is appears that you can only get shade equal to your charisma modifier. Am I reading something wrong here?
    Either I forgot to correct it, or you may have missed it (Which is pretty easy) but you get shade equal to your Charisma score, so up to 20.
    Nightblessed - I was bothered seeing this as a level 3 feature at first, since Paladin's typically only get channel divinity at level 3. But in looking at it it doesn't seem to increase power overall, so sure why not.
    Does Magical Darkvision all you to see through magical darkness? What is magical darkvision? Can it be suppressed via dispel magic?
    Yes, it lets you see through magical darkness. It's like that one Eldritch Invocation. Uhhh, iunno how dispel magic interacts with class features. Antimagic field...maybe?
    Nightnail - You can draw in 2 creatures with this. If you use smite do you smite both creatures? If you do, does it use 1 slot or 2? The save they make, what is the type of save they make? Also, I don't foresee anyone successfully making the save vs the total damage. That can get pretty high with a paladin smiting.
    10 if you blow your whole shade pool. Potentially more if you use the level 15 feature. Uh, probably a Con save. I might leave off the smite bit, then. You're probably right. Though you would be blowing a smite just to guarantee the effect, more or less. The save would be...1d12+5? If you're using a greatsword? And you have to leave the sword there.
    Together in Dark - Per above, does this let you see through magical darkness? Also, what happens to an ally that has night vision?
    Yes. Allies who already have darkvision at or beyond the stated ranged gain the ability to see through magical darkness up to the stated range.
    We are the Knight - This is really situational for a 20th level capstone. The overall power seems fine, but generally I see Paladin 20th level abilities as one you can easily use every day. Still, it's a capstone and 99% of people will never see it.
    Think about it, though. You can see fully across the barrier. You can use it to bypass and scout anything and anywhere that isn't also defended from the Shadow side. You can have your party pop up right next to the king, then pop out again. You could escape certain death by just hanging out in the Plane of Shadow (Though it, of course, has its own hazards...).

There is the Shade-refresh, though. I imagine that would get used all the time.
    This is by far the most gritty and dark Paladin I've seen. It would be a blast to roleplay.
    Thank . Remember though, you're supposed to make everyone less afraid of the dark, and you're not allowed to spook your enemies with it! What do you think about the spells?
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-09-20 at 01:55 PM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.