Does anyone here have any experience with painting iridescent effects on minis, either using actual iridescent/opalescent paints or simply mimicking the effects with standard paints?

Way back in 4th edition days, when I first got into 40k, I had an idea for a color scheme for a nid force that I really wanted to try, but life kinda got in the way and I shelved it. Now that I’ve got the time, money, and stability to get back into 40k, I want to bust out my 4th edition nid battalion box and build up a kill team (and maybe start a full army). The problem is, the scheme I want to use is based on this magnificent bugger:

Spoiler: WARNING: BIG HONKIN’ WASP
Show

That beautiful thing is a tarantula hawk, a wasp as long as your thumb with the single most painful sting among wasps and a habit of hunting tarantulas for use in horrifying, xenomorph-esque parasitic reproduction. That bright, contrasting color scheme basically tells all other living things to piss off, and it works; adult tarantula hawks have very few known predators.

Basically, I want to paint the claws/teeth/biomorphs/etc that awesome fluorescent rust color like the hawk’s wings, and the rest of the nid would be that blue-black carapace color. The problem I’m having is that I’ve never painted an iridescent color like that, and searching the net has produced a wide range of hints and techniques, so I figured I’d ask here and see if anyone has some experience themselves with this sort of look.

Specifically: if you’ve ever used an iridescent/opalescent paint, do you have a favorite brand/type and how has it worked for you? And if you’ve done that style of painting without a premixed iridescent paint, what sort of technique have you tried and how has it worked?