Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
I think there's a lot of truth here.

One possible suggestion might just to have the "cool moments" be explicit, to get on the same path. I think Talakeal has used the term "cutscene" before in describing things, so why not make them literal cutscenes, and just tell the party explicitly "This is just a cutscene, I'll let you know when it's over and regular play begins?" Or some other signifier. Like to use a video game trope, mention a camera movement to begin the cutscene, and then say something like "the camera returns back to the characters" when it's over.
The thing is you can declare "cutscenes" all you want, that will only get the buy-in from players that will buy the concept of cutscenes anyway. Other players will interupt the GM narrating the cutscene by declaring their characters actions (like "Hm, that is a tense situation. I think I will activate my mindsight ability, so that no one can sneak up on us."). And if confronted with "Dude, you can't do that. This is a cutscene!" they will probably react with a confused look saying "What? My character is right there!. Why can't I act?".