Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
Its similar enough to D&D that the comparison plays out for conceptual problems like I created this thread to discuss, but once you get down into the nitty-gritty like "Illithids have a 60' Aoe Cone attack" or "Illithids have 44HP and will therefor be half dead after a fireball" it becomes meaningless.
It is still close to D&D and if you want to discuss appropriate tactics, that will be the referrence. Otherwise you should provide the important rule alterations as context before the discussion.

And yes, i agree that taking the light out should most likely be seen as an agressive action.

But i don't think Bobs counterattacks with fireballs were an appropriate answer. Sure, there was a chance of this being part of the Illithids plan to kill the party. But considering that the person responsible for the darkness was not an Illithid and hidden during the whole negotiation makes something else more likely : That whatever third party is the danger to the Illithids and reason for them to work with the PCs wants to sabotage the negotiation. That this happens only after it seems to an outsider that Illithids and parties have come to some agreement is strong evidence for that.
So more appropriate would have been to only kill the rogue while trying to not hurt any Illithids until they act hostile, in case this really is a third party interferrence.

But while Bobs action is imho not the best answer, it is a very viable and plausible one.