Wraith, Cheese, Corsair, and Gwyn: thanks for the info and ideas. I didn’t even think of contrast paints, and they are definitely sounding like the better option over expensive and finicky iridescent paints or spending a long time mixing and layering glazes and hoping for the best. I think the time part is the really big one, since if I turn this into an army I’m definitely going for a horde of nids. Now I just need to nail the fluorescent orange look for all the spiky bits and I’ll be set.

On the topic of painting nids: with the ability to mix sub factions in an army, you obviously need to be able to tell them apart (more importantly, your opponent needs to be able to tell them apart). That’s easy for some armies like marines where you can just use different trim on shoulders so you don’t ruin the cohesiveness of the army’s paint scheme, but what sort of markings would you use for something like nids or necrons? I’m asking this as a “what would you personally do”, not a ‘what is the one expected method’ thing.

My first thought for my case is sticking with a single style (single, iridescent-ish body color and a fluorescent color for claws and such), and just changing which two colors are used based on subfaction. It would definitely be colorful on the tabletop, but I’m not sure how good or cohesive it might look.

@Drasius: that knight is gorgeous. And an appropriate color for October.